Sunday, August 16, 2015

Fort Erie Racetrack 1897- "Alive And Still Kicking"

On Sunday my brother John and I did a day trip to historic "Fort Erie Racetrack". I have to admit some of my favorite horse racing moments were enjoyed at this fantastic place to enjoy Thoroughbred Racing. Sadly Fort Erie Racetrack and this area of Ontario is barely hanging on for dear life.

The two life bloods of this area were. The Crystal Beach amusement Park that was closed and demolished in 1989. The historic Racetrack is barely hanging on to life. Sadly the track seems to me to be in rundown condition. Also there are only racing a merger 3 days a week now. This a racetrack that in my mind should be the Saratoga of Canada! It is a real failure for the Canadian Horse racing Industry, Businessmen and and our beleaguered Provincial Government.That this is not so.

Some of my favorite Fort Erie moments; Hopenscope winning first time out during the Spring Meet in 1975. John & I win parle (Lucky Conn defeat of Norcliffe) 1976, Myrthful Mynx breaking the track record for 7 furlongs on the turf course 1979, Captain Dawn's miracle win 1980.

I have included a few photos of being at the Fort today.

No comments:

Post a Comment