Friday, December 26, 2008

Vermont Food, and Loving It!


This post is dedicated to the love and respect that I have for Vermont, (The Green Mountain State). Yes and it involves food. I am not ashamed that I love food, and I love to eat it. Food is a very pleasant part of the Vermont experience. So here goes!



I will start with my last meal, during my most rent trip in October 2008. I ate my final dinner at a restaurant called the "Lincoln Inn". The Lincoln Inn is located in Essex Junction. It was only a 15 minute drive from "Homeplace". The lady that owns and operates Homeplace recommended "the Lincoln Inn" to me. It was a good choice. I had a very nice young lady wait on me. Her name is Erica. I asked Erica if the Lincoln Inn served good hamburgers. Her answer was yes! So that was my choice for dinner. I started was huge salad, and then continued on to the main course, which consisted of a beautiful hamburger cooked medium well to perfection, and served with a very nice baked potato. I washed it all down with a nice glass of red wine. It was a meal fit for a king. It is nice to feel like royalty, every ounce in awhile.

C & S Pizza
104 S Main St White River Junction, VT 05001. I do love this place. This eatery is very popular with the locals, and is always busy. They make the best calzone on the planet, I'm sure!!!! If you do make it on a pilgrimage to the Green Mountain State. Do include a visit to White River Junction, and C & S Pizza. You will be happy that you did!

Oriental Wok Express
97 N Main St West Lebanon, NH 03784, United States
I do love eating Oriental cuisine. This simple little establishment does a very nice job. It is located not very far from the Hotel Coolidge, and White River Junction. It is only a 15 minute walk from the hotel to the restaurant. Which is located in a gas station. However don't let that stop you from trying the food. They offer a hot ready to serve buffet, or you can order a fresh dish off the menu. I enjoyed the freshly steamed chicken and veggies served with white or brown rice. Very good and very healthy to eat!

ZOEY'S DELI & BAKERY
ROUTE 11/30 MANCHESTER, VT 05255 USA
This restaurant is a great place for lunch when your are visiting the town of Manchester. At Zoey's they bake there own bread, and cook there own potato chips. They offer a wide selection of sandwiches to choose from. Also you get to choose the bread you want your sandwich served on. If you have any room left for desert. Also try one of there huge homemade cookies. They are cookies to remember.

THE LAWYER AND THE BAKER
32 Bonnet St
Manchester Ctr, VT 05255, US

This eatery was enjoyed during my visit to the Green Mountain State in June 2008. I received the recommendation to eat there from a nice local young lady. Always listen to good advise when you receive it. The young lady said that the quality of the food is even better then Zoey's. She was right on. I enjoyed a beautiful turkey club sandwich. That was made with real roasted turkey meat. The quality, taste, good prices, and good atmosphere are all part of eating at the lawyer and the Baker.

Miss Bellows Falls Diner

90 Rockingham St
Bellows Falls, VT 05101, United States

This is the oldest Worcester diner still in operation in the United States. This diner originally began it's life serving great food back in 1920. The prices reflect today's standards. But the good news is that the quality of the food is still very good. If you plan to eat there during a Vermont vacation. Make sure and come early. Because this eatery just serves breakfast and lunch. When I ate there, I enjoyed a Buffalo meat hamburger cooked to perfection. It was served with sweet potato french fries. If you have never tried sweet potato fries before. Do try them. I have become addicted to them, and eat them every chance I get. However it is a good addiction, as they are very good for you. Eating in a classic Vermont diner is just part of the fun of a New England vacation.


Polka Dot Diner

1 N Main St
White River Junction, VT 05001
802-295-9722

This diner classic is found right in the heart of White River Junction. It has been part of the scenery in this Vermont railroad town for over 50 years. The diner is owned by a nice lady named Mary. She does most of the cooking. If you do make it to White River Junction. Give the Polka Dot a try for breakfast or lunch. I can recommend the corn beef hash, for breakfast. It is a real treat. You will enjoy the friendly experience of having a meal there.

Country Stores

One of the best parts of being in Vermont, is exploring. The saying that applies is; those that seek, shall find! This is true when it comes to food. Here are two examples to what I'm talking about.

The first great find was during my summer 2008 trip. I found myself in the town of Tunbridge. I stopped off at a small collectible store just outside of the town. I asked the lady proprietor if there was any places in Tunbridge to have lunch. She informed me. That I was in luck. That there was a very good restaurant that operated in the country store in the town, and it was owned and operated by a French Chef. My appetite started to increase after hearing the news. My find was a very good one. I enjoyed a beautiful bowl of Italian Wedding soup, and a wonderful Turkey sandwich for lunch. I left the Tunbridge country store feeling very satisfied, and very full.

During my October 2008 trip. I rode my mountain bike from White River Junction all the way to West Hartford. It was about a 12 mile ride. I arrived in the town feeling hungry. I need something to give me the energy and the strength to ride back to the Junction. I was again in luck. Located inside the West Hartford Country Store. Was again a very good restaurant. I tried a large bowel of freshly made Seafood Chowder soup. This was one of the best soup experiences I have enjoyed in my life. It was very nice meeting Joe and Pat who run the country store, and special thanks to pat who made the delicious soup.

Eating in Burlington

Enjoying a meal in Vermont's only real city can be a very pleasant experience. There is a lot of good choice, and a lot of good quality to choose from. Every popular cuisine can be found here. There are coffee shops galore, and don't forget Ben and Jerry's ice cream. The location of the original store is long gone. However there is still a scoop shop selling all the rich and delectable flavors that are enjoyed by ice cream fanatics. Also the city enjoys a very active night life. There are a lot of clubs and restaurants that provide live entertainment. Burlington is the home to 2 major universities. So you defiantly won't be bored during your visit. Here a couple of places that I tried and enjoyed during my time spend in lovely Burlington, Vermont.

Zabby & Elfs Stone Soup
(802) 862-7616
Burlington 211 College St. Burlington, VT 05401

I tried Zabby & Elfs Stone Soup for lunch during my summer 2008 visit. I did really enjoy this place. If you are a vegetarian or enjoy eating really healthy. Then this is the restaurant for you. There is a lot of variety to choose from, and the quality of the food is excellent. Also this eatery has a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. I guarantee you will enjoy eating here.

Parima

185 Pearl St
Burlington, VT 05401

This is the best Thai Restaurant in Burlington. I enjoyed a fantastic meal there during my summer 2008 trip. It was the final day of that trip. I enjoyed a meal to remember there. I consumed a very nice plate of ginger beef, served over a bed of thin rice noodles. I also had spring rolls for my appetizer. I had a friendly waiter. I told him "that I was the end of my second Vermont vacation, and that I was visiting from Canada". When he heard me mention the world Canada. He said to me, "that you will have to come back for the live entertainment tonight, that they were featuring a band called "Ragged Glory", "and that they performed a tribute, of the music of Neil Young". Well after hearing that, I just had to come back and check it out. I did come back for the show, and was very happy that I did. Great food and great music will always put me in the right state of mind!

1 comment:

  1. Good Blog, I think I want to find me, I will tell my other friends, on all

    ReplyDelete