Monday, October 20, 2008

To The Top of Mt. Mansfield via The Haselton Trail






















I first went to the toll road that you can drive up Mt. Mansfield. The cost is $23 per car. The road is 4 and 1/2 miles that takes you to the top of of the mountain. This was not an option for me. I was determined to do a hike to the top of the mountain. I spoke with a friendly fella, who was an employee of the toll road. He advised me to hike the Haselton Trail up the mountain. The weather conditions were perfect for my hike. He told me where to find the trail head, and park my car. I was on my way.I drove to the gondola parking lot. A couple of miles up the road. That is where the trail head is located for the "Haselton Trail".
I was in good luck when I parked my car. I parked right beside a friendly couple of Vermonters. There names are Jill and Ted. They are both active members of "The Green Mountain Club". I quickly introduced myself, and informed them. That I am from Ontario, Canada. That I love the Green Mountains, and was also thrilled to have joined "The Green Mountain Club. Jill and Ted were happy to meet me, and explained to me. That they were in the process of hiking up the "Haselton Trail" as they had adopted the trail, and were going to do some maintenance work on the trail. I was happy to be hiking up the mountain with some nice people. That were experienced hikers. It is always better to travel with friends. Especially if your hiking up a mountain.
Now I am defiantly still a novice hiking up mountains. However here is some friendly advice for anyone who gets the ambition to do so. Having very good footwear is essential. You should invest in some proper shoes or boots. That are designed for serious hiking. These shoes or boots will be equipped with proper treads. Designed to keep you safe and prevent you from falling. While you are walking over all kinds of terrain. The shoes or boots should be lightweight and should also be made out of waterproof material. The foot ware being waterproof will be an added bonus. You should always hike with a light backpack, filled with enough drinking water and healthy snacks. That will last for the duration of the hike. Never attempt a hike that is beyond your physical endurance. Remember you learn to crawl before you learn to walk. Hiking with a friend is always a better idea, compared to hiking alone. Practise all these tips, and you will enjoy a natural high. That will keep you high for a long time to come!
My hike went well. The "Hanselton Trail" was well marked and challenging. Like a lot of the trails going into the "Green Mountains" they are steep, and lead you through all sorts of beautiful pristine natural settings. I caught up with Jill and Ted. They explained the rest of the trail to me. They said that the trail would lead to one of the major ski runs on Mt. Mansfield. The ski run is called "Nose Dive". When you have reached "Nose Dive" you are about 1/2 mile from the top. I went on past Jill and Ted as they were both doing some work on the trail. I made it to "Nose Dive", before Ted an Jill arrived. We sat and talked on the mountain, as I took some great pictures of some great memories from this trip.
I then hiked to the top of the ski run. I decided not to continue to the top of "The Chin". I enjoyed the views from the top of the mountain, then started my decent down. Walking up and down "Nose Dive". From the top of the mountain to the "Haselton Trail" was a huge challenge. Because of the steepest! The grade must of been 10 or 11 percent. Hiking down a mountain can be even more physically demanding then going up. However I made it without incident. I was happy and proud. That I had enjoyed the hike, and made it to the top of Vermont! It is a excellent memory that will be with me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment