Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mt. Ascutney & The Search For The Perfect Gor-tex!






















Another fantastic day spent in the Green Mountains. Today was my first hiking day. I went back to Windsor so I could go hiking on Mount Ascutney. Today Mother Nature was in an awesome mood. Not a cloud over the Green Mountains. Bright sunshine was the theme for the entire day. When I arrived in Windsor. I stopped and picked up a sub in local Price Choppers grocery store. That would be my lunch for the hike. When I arrive at the parking area for the Brownsville Trail. I started on my lunch and eat half of the sub. The other half would be enjoyed on the mountain. I started the hike and everything went well. The trail was completed dry. Which was a nice surprise, and very unusual for this time of the year. I travelled up the mountain just past a mile. When you come to the remains of an old quarry. That was located on the mountain, several years ago. The trail at this point became very difficult. I decided to take a brake, and finished my turkey sub. Before I would decide what my next move would be.I found a nice place at the old quarry to enjoy the remainder of my lunch, and enjoy some fantastic views from Mount Ascutney. I had with me on the hike. My micro lite hiking stove. That was purchased for my ill fated hike into the Grand Canyon. This minute stove worked like a charm. It is actually made out of an aluminum soda pop can. It was one of my better Ebay purchases. The soda pop stove runs on alcohol based fuel. Methyl hydrate is the best choice of fuel to be used. Because I had the stove with me. I was able to enjoy a cup of hot coffee. While I enjoyed the natural beauty, of a beautiful place.After I finished lunch. I decided to call it a day, instead of pushing on to the top of the mountain. After all. When you are on holidays. The main purpose is to have fun and to enjoy yourself.
I made it back to my car and headed south. I wound up crossing the Connecticut River ending up in Clairmount, New Hampshire. I stopped and did a bit of shopping there. I then made the decision. To continue on to the town of Bellows Falls. In Bellows Falls you will find the ultimate in Outdoor Stores. "Sams" has the best selection and prices. In the best quality outdoor equipment you can find. I did purchase two pairs of hiking boots last year. I do love my Merrill Hiking boots. This year I was looking to buy a very nice pair of Gore-tex hiking shoes. Well I had great success shopping at Sam's again. I purchased an incredible pairs of Gore-tex hiking shoes. Which is made by "The North Face". Also I purchased a second pair of Merrill waterproof hiking boots. You would have a challenge to find this quality in Toronto. If you did find it, you would be paying double the price. We Canadians are getting ripped off for sure!


I finished the day with a splendid drive from Bellows Falls back to White River Junction using highway 91. Wow!!! What a fantastic experience. The scenic beauty of Vermont can be overpowering at times. What the heck, just take it all in, and enjoy! I did consume my Calzone tonight at C & S Pizza. This is just one of the reasons. I love Vermont so much!
The picture of the shoes is the picture of the ultimate in Gore-tex hiking footwear. They are "The North Face" Hedgehog GTX. They were a birthday gift from my mother.








2 comments:

  1. Your hiking shoes are just perfect to climb those big mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Nakisha, the ultimate shoes will do the ultimate job!

    ReplyDelete