Sunday, December 7, 2014

In Search of My Italian Roots


All going to plan. I depart for another exciting adventure on January 6th, 2015. This trip is made possible by my 20 years of loyal service working for Canada Post. As I will have all the month of January off on vacation, less 1 day. Royal Dutch Airlines (KLM) is also lending a hand to make this trip possible. As I took advantage of a great special price. Providing most of my air transportation.

I enjoyed many trips visiting the continent of Europe. As I love visiting the cities full of history and culture that has shaped our world. There are also many places of beuaty located in Europe. That will make you say "WOW"! Also all of my cultural background is from Europe. It is always a learning experience for me tracing my cultural roots.

The first week of my European vacation 2015. Will be spent in the Netherlands. Visiting with long time friend and mentor Peter V/D Weyden. I have enjoyed many wonderful times visiting with Peter and his sisters in this friendly and peaceful European Country.

My dad Sheldon Wolfe was raised by his mother Ann. My dad never knew his real father. As when my dad was an infant. My grandparents went there separate ways. Not sure of the year. But my grandmother and dad rented an apartment over a popular business in Toronto at that time. "Mazza's Fruit Market" was located on St. Clair Avenue in Toronto in the 1930's. Located right in the heart of the Italian Neighborhood. The Mazza Family treated my dad and grandmother as part of there own family. The head of the family and business Jack Mazza became like a father to my dad. It was Jack Mazza who introduced my dad to the sport of Horse Racing. Taking him to enjoy the Sport of Kings at Dufferein Park while he was a young man. My dad also had fond memories of playing hockey with the Mazza's oldest son Ernie in the Catholic Youth Hockey League.

I will always be grateful for the support and kindness the Mazza Family gave to dad and Grandmother. If everything goes to plan. I will arrive in the "Eternal City" of Rome to explore and enjoy. All of what this classic great city has to offer. Then on January 21. I fly from Rome to Palermo Sicily. To enjoy life on the southern most part of Italy.  This trip should also prove to a fantastic experience to enjoy more quality time. Also a chance to find a and enjoy. Searching for my Italian Roots!

The above photo is my fortune from a cookie received after my Chinese Boxing Day dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment