Saturday, March 15, 2008

Arizona 2008

My tour of Arizona 2008 was the second time. That I have gone back to visit this location. This trip would be a tour of the State of Arizona. The motivation for this trip was to hike into the Grand Canyon. My first trip to Arizona was in 1985. I did visit the Grand Canyon during that vacation. I vowed one day to return to the Grand Canyon. To complete the hike to Phantom Ranch and back to the south rim using the Bright Angel Trail. This tour of Arizona would be 3 weeks. The first week was spent in the southern desert. The second week was spent in Northern Arizona. One week was spent in the Valley of the Sun, in the Phoenix area. Arizona is a fantastic holiday destination for us snow bound Canadians, looking for some peace and sunshine! Both can be found here. I did have a rare major disappointment during this trip. As I had to cancel my hike into the Grand Canyon at the last minute.  I somehow contracted a poison ivy rash. Terrible thing poison ivy or oak. The rash is very painful. Itches like hell, and it can be very difficult to get rid of. Also the rash can spread very easily. I had no choice but to cancel my hike. As I would be doing my fair share of sweating during the 9.8 miles. Which is the distance it takes to reach Phantom Ranch from the south rim. Excessive sweating could easily spread the rash. Hiking the Grand Canyon can be one of the best journeys a traveler can go on. However it can also be a very dangerous trip. You have to be prepared, and at your physical best. You are responsible for your own safely travelling into the Grand Canyon. I retreated back to Flagstaff. Went to see a doctor. Who confirmed the problem. Got the rash under control. And continued on. I did enjoy a very successful holiday. The highlights of this trip were visiting; the town of Tombstone, Monument Valley, Sedona, The Petrified Forest, also making some great new friends on this trip. I made friends in Flagstaff with; Geri, Virginia, and Joey. I also became friends in Phoenix with Siobhán from Ireland. It was also great to meet Peter G. a fellow Canuck from Winnipeg. Peter G. and I hiked up Camelback mountain in Phoenix. Seeing the Grand Canyon again was awesome!
0; text-align: center; "

2 comments:

  1. Love the Eagles shot Donny. Is that supposed to be Glenn Frey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Al:

    The statue is of Jackson Browne. He wrote most of "Take It Easy", and he was really in Winslow, Arizona.

    ReplyDelete