Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Longer You Ride. The Longer You Ride.








This posting is about one of my passions in life. Riding a bike. A very nice female friend asked me, why do I enjoy to ride my bikes so much? Is it to keep in good physical shape? Is it to relive stress and pressure? Or did I just enjoy to ride bikes? My answer to her was, all of the above. My advise to anybody reading this blog is. Any activity that you enjoyed when you were a kid. Never stop doing it. Do it for as long as you can. And you will be able to keep doing it for a very long time. Keep being a kid at heart.

I will now explain the title of this posting. "The Longer You Ride. The Longer You Ride". This title actual has a double meaning. The first meaning has it roots from the racetrack. The explanation is from people that ride horses. Those who ride with longer stirrups. Will overall have a longer career riding horses. Then the riders who ride with there stirrups, pulled up short. Riding with longer stirrups. Gives the rider better balance. Therefor less chance of falling off, and injuring themselves. When the horse acts up, and attempts to throw the rider.

The meaning for bike riders is. Keep doing it, and you will keep doing it for a very long time. Having fun riding a bike. Will keep the rider physically fit. Which will help to enrich and prolong your life.

I have included some pictures of some of my favorite bike rides. From riding locally in Brampton. I enjoy riding on the Chinguacousy trail, which includes riding through Chinguacousy Park. I also enjoy riding up Dixie into the country. As soon as you go pass Country Side Dr. in Brampton. You enter some pristine Ontario farm country. That hasn't been destroyed yet by greedy land developers, and the lack of responsible laws in place to prevent this senseless destruction. Riding in this area, up into the Oak Ridges Moraine. Is a haven for biking enthusiasts like myself, and people who love being in a relaxed country setting.

The forth picture is of my vintage French, Motobecane racing bike. It is a fantastic ride! It is like your riding the wind. This bike was a gift from my excellent friend Keith C. Thanks Keith! Also the first picture is of my restored Raleigh Mountain Bike. Also a gift from Keith. It is my "Old Red Bike". For any Buffett fans reading this, you know what that means!

3 comments:

  1. I never heard the "longer you ride, the longer you ride" saying during my Woodbine days. Neat-O...

    Hey, quick question Mr. W, why did Keith give you a womans bike?

    I had to say it (hehe)! Looks like a ten speed to me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say anything to make me laugh, Al! Keep it coming, Al!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard the longer you ride saying--I like it! I much prefer to ride with longer stirrups; it's part of the appeal of riding dressage for me. Although I haven't ridden in a long time...
    Deb

    ReplyDelete