Sunday, February 14, 2016

Hastalavista Cuba

Starting out this post I will always feel very privileged to have the chance to travel away and spend time holidaying in exotic locations.

There is however mixed reviews in my time spent in Cuba. I will start with the positive. The beach located in Varadero, Cuba is a wonderful place to be. This stretch of sand is fantastic! It is a very clean beach and the water is very shallow. As you can walk out for a long distance from the beach and the water will remain shallow. The water will only rise to a height of about 4 1/2 feet (1.37m). It is a perfect beach for families with young children to hang out and enjoy the sun. The Cuban people are very friendly and make a great effort to treat their guests in an accommodating way. Yes and almost all of the Cuban people working at my resort and in the stores located in Varadero could speak fluent English. Cuba is also a very safe country with a very low crime rate. Also I wish I would have had more of a chance to enjoy exploring the city of Havana. This great city reminds me of a classic city in Europe. It is full of a colorful history and lots of vintage buildings. Making it a perfect place for history enthusiasts to enjoy! I also have to mention the "Beatles Bar" located in Varadero. This bar is a happening place and you should enjoy a show their if you are going to vacation in Varadero, Cuba.

Now for the negative. The hotel I stayed at during my holiday in Cuba was the Bellevue Palma Real. This hotel is in state of neglect from the present ownership. The room I stayed in definitely had signs of mold in the room. I asked to be moved into a better room. The maid who looked after my room. Said "that all the rooms are in the same condition in the hotel" that this is Cuba". Also you cannot drink the tap water in Cuba. You must drink bottled water only! Now I'm not a hard person to please. I don't demand luxury amenities when I'm enjoying a vacation. I'm use to staying in hostels for a lot of my great trips. Which for the most part I have enjoyed staying at low budget accommodations very much! The most important part of a holiday is. That you enjoy the place you have chosen to travel to. Another problem with holidaying in Cuba is the fact. That Cuba is still a very poor and under developed country. For example basic toiletries are still luxury items in Cuba. If you venture away from your hotel. You are warned to take a roll of toilet paper with you. As many of the washrooms I did use during my time spent in Cuba. Did not provide any toilet paper.

Another problem is the food served in Cuba. The quality, variety and presentation of the food served at "Palma Real Hotel" was lacking. It is apparent that this is a major disadvantage for visiting Cuba. Also I did experience some food poisoning. I suspect from eating the food at my hotel. It could of also been something I consumed at the lunch eaten at the restaurant in Havana  However this is just a guess on my part. During the walking part of the tour in Havana. I had to abandon the tour as I became quite ill. Lucky I rebounded the next day and got to enjoy the last 4 days of this trip.

I did get to enjoy some sun and relaxation during my holiday in Cuba. Swimming in the warm water and walking along the wonderful beach in Varadero was enjoyed! Fond memories of using my new Canon camera to preserve the memories of the fantastic sunset on February 2nd. Mother Nature at her finest!  Yes the hotel I stayed at in Varadero was not that nice. Also the food in Cuba was a problem for me. This is why I have always resisted going on all inclusive trips. Which can cause problems if the quality of the hotel or the amenities they provide our poor quality. It is really not my idea of a wonderful vacation to stay at an all inclusive resort. I will always prefer to tour, explore and travel in a wonderful location. I know that visiting poor and under developed countries can be very rewarding. However their is added risks involved in doing so. Including; eating the food, drinking the local water and the safety and security of the country. Have the potential to be create problems. That you could encounter during your vacation. Also not being able to be fluent speaking the local language. Can also prove to be a determent in enjoying your vacation. I'm happy I did get the chance to visit Cuba. I am now looking forward to the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment