Monday, October 3, 2011

Going For A Walk, In Portland!














Today after enjoying my breakfast at the hostel. I took the #14 bus to downtown Portland. It was an easy trip as the bus heads west on Hawthorn Boulevard to the downtown part of the city. After you have crossed over the Willamette River via the Hawthorne Bridge. You have arrived, downtown!
I set out out to do some tax free shopping. Yes you are reading correct. There is no sales tax on purchases in the State of Oregon. I went to visit "Powell's Bookstore". This major book store chain main location located in downtown Portland. Is one of the biggest retail book stores in the world.
After making a small purchase of two books at Powell's. I set out to find a great place to eat lunch. I got a good tip for a friendly local lady who recommended a eatery named "The Blue Plate" located at 308 SW Washington Street. The food did not disappoint. I enjoyed consuming two small cheeseburgers, topped with Tillamook (Oregon) cheddar cheese. They also served mashed potatoes with it. After lunch I found a great used book store named Cameron's. I found a rare book on the history of vending machines. Then I completed my lunch by having desert at "Voodoo Donuts" which is part of the culture here in Portland. "Voodoo Donuts is famous for there high quality Vegan Donuts and there weird and outlandish flavors. I enjoyed a chocolate coconut. I did not go for one of there weird flavors. I also did enjoy a nice hot cup of coffee at "City Coffee". They only charge $1.40 per cup, which is bottomless.
Then it was back on the #14 bus back over the historic 101 year old "Hawthorne Bridge", back to the hostel. I plan to visit the Columbia River Gorge in the afternoon.

1 comment: