Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Portland, or Bridgeland???



















I enjoyed another great day today. Enjoying to live life in the Pacific Northwest. I rented a bike from the hostel, and set out to really explore the "City of Roses".
Now to explain my title. After you view some of the pictures from this post you may agree with my idea for a name change of this great city. From Portland to Bridgeland. I have to admit to feeling fantastic getting a second change to ride my bike over the 101 year old Hawthorne Bridge. This living piece of history is the centerpiece of the 10 bridges that cross the Willamette River. That connect the downtown part of Portland to the rest of the neighborhoods that make up the Greater Portland Area.
I did ride along the river for awhile and enjoyed the views. I then rode across the "Steel Bridge". Which is the second oldest Bridge located in Portland. Built in 1913 the Steel Bridge is the only double deck vertical lift bridge in the world.
After I rode back across the Steel bridge to the downtown. I stopped for a snack. That consisted to toast and some excellent coffee at "Fuller's Coffee Shop". Which has been a popular eatery here in the City of Roses or Bridges, since 1947.
I continued to ride towards "Washington Park". Which is one of the beautiful city parks located here in Portland. At this point of my bike ride. It looked like rain was imminent. So it was now time to stop for lunch. Good luck was on my side as I found an excellent Thai Restaurant to have lunch. My lunch was superb! It consisted of grilled pork skewers, Thai salad and sticky rice.
After lunch I finished the ride to Washington Park. Then I rode back to the hostel to relax and do some shopping in the Hawthorne Distract.

3 comments:

  1. Whatever you choose to call this great city is your choice. But I'm sure you will agree. After you are here. This is one great place to be!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bridges in Portland. Did you go to Voodoo Donuts yet?

    I am viewing this on my phone so I can't get a good look at the photos. Will have more time on the weekend.

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did try Voodoo Donuts twice. I did shy away from the far out flavors. But there Vegan Donuts are very good!

    ReplyDelete