Sunday, June 7, 2009

I Wanna Go Back To The Islands!!!!







The title for this post is the opening verse of one my all time favorite Jimmy Buffett tunes. The song is named "Tin Cup Chalice". The song is a love song for one of Jimmy's all time favorite loves "Key West, Florida".

This comparison applies after the day, that I have lived today. Today I sailed away into the San Juan Islands. They are a special pleasure for any of us out there. Who crave to escape and get away from the typical rat race existence, that most of us are forced to live.

Here is how my day went. I woke up around 7:15 after I had enjoyed a decent night sleep. I had breakfast in my room, with free coffee that is supplied by the motel. By 8:45 AM. I was at my car in the parking lot, and pulled out my Dehon travel bike. I assembled it and was all ready to go. I rode for about 4 miles to the Anacortes Ferries Docks. I arrived at 9:15, and was in luck as there was a Ferry Boat getting ready to depart at 9:35 for Friday Harbor. Which is the main village located on San Juan Island. San Juan Island is the largest island located in the San Juan Island Chain.

The boat ride takes 1 hour and 5 minutes to sail from the Anacortas docks to Friday Harbor. On arrival I quickly had a chance to chat with some locals. They advised me to ride to the northern end of the island. To a village called Roche Harbor. They said that "the ride was a very good one, and was 14 miles in distance. I quickly decided to do it. When the ferry boat left Anacortes the weather was overcast and cool. However by the time the boat had reached San Juan Island, the skies had cleared to bright sunshine, and again I was being treated to a magnificent day, by mother nature.

Off I went on my little Dehon folding bike. The ride was an amazing experience. The scenic beauty of San Juan Island is outstanding. The island is very lush and green. There are lots of hills, so the ride was a bit demanding at times. However the ride going to Roche Harbor was a much easier one, then the return trip would be.

I took two brakes during the ride. One was just a refreshment break. The other was one of curiosity, as I discovered a huge thrift store. Located about 3 miles before I would arrive in Roche Harbor. I just had to stop and check to see what treasures awaited. I didn't find anything earth shattering. However I did find a rare "Rush" cassette tape. I also purchased an almost full container of Fondue Fuel (methyl hydrate). Back in Canada this product is easy and cheap to purchase. One dollar will get you a 12 ounce bottle at most dollar stores. However in the U.S.A. You have to go to a hardware store to find it. Also you will be paying much more then $1 for it. It need this fuel as I brought alone my miniature hiking stove. Methyl hydrate is the best choice of fuel to operate this stove. Now I can enjoy a nice cup of hot java, when I stop for a roadside break. I paid 50 cents for the fondue fuel.

Roche Harbor is a picturesque and historic village, that was created in 1896. The town was established because of the abundance of lime in the area. Lime production back in history was a major industry on San Juan island. Today the town major industry like all of San Juan Island is tourism. The town features a historic hotel called the "Hotel De Haro". This historic hotel is as old as the village, 1896. I had lunch at the Lime Kiln Cafe. This eatery is very popular with tourists and the locals alike. It is located in the place where the lime processing factory ounce stood. I had a lamb burger for my lunch.

Now I had a decision to make. Did I attempt another 14 mile ride back to Friday Harbor? Or there was another option. There is a bus service on San Juan Island. For $5, I could enjoy a comfortable trip back. Avoiding the more difficult bike trip, back to Friday Harbor. I made the right choice. The friendly lady bus driver was happy to transport me, and my folding Dehon bike back to Friday Harbor. This way I was able to relax, and enjoy looking around Friday Harbor. Also I was in plenty of time to allow me to catch the 4:15 ferry boat back to Anacortes.

I had a relaxing trip back to Anacortes. That way I still had the energy to ride the 4 miles back to the San Juan Motel. I wish every day. Could be this good.

4 comments:

  1. Ernest K Gann couldn't be wrong after all Donny...

    Don't try to get that fuel on the plane.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fuel is staying here. It is just a miracle, that I found it. Which island did Mr. Gann live on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you get a chance, check out Orcas Island too...

    ReplyDelete