Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Trenton Airshow








This past weekend was my first opportunity of the summer to go and visit great friends Keith C. and Sandie L. They live in the town of Trenton, located on the beautiful Bay of Quinte.

The town of Trenton is the home of RCAF base Trenton, which began in 1929. It is also the home of the Royal Canadian Air force Museum. Canada has a very impressive history in aviation. One that all Canadians should be very proud of.

The July 4th weekend would be an exciting weekend in Trenton. As the base would be host to a large airshow, which would celebrate the 100th year of flight in Canada.

On Friday the 3rd of July. I had a relatively easy day at work delivering my mail route. I was finished my lunch and on the road for Trenton by 12:30. I arrived at Keith's and Sandie's place before 3pm. On arrival Keith and I went to visit his father. Colin C. lives in the small hamlet of Ameliasburgh. It was nice to visit with Colin, and also to visit his historic homestead.

On a weekend trip for me to Trenton. It has become a tradition, for Keith Sandie and I. TO dine out in the small town of Stirling. Located in Stirling in Jimmy's Pizza and bar restaurant. On Friday and Saturday nights. This eatery offers and all you can eat roast beef buffet, with great salad bar for the very low price of $10.95. The price is low, and the quality is high. You will enjoy your meal there if you get the chance. Jimmy's can be found at 2 West Front, Stirling, Ontario. Right across from there famous creamery.

Saturday was an eventful day. Some garage sales after breakfast, Keith helped a good friend to teach a scuba diving class. Keith left me his car, and I received the directions and met up with Keith, later in the morning.

Lunch was another great country Ontario eating experience. Keith and I wound up in Carrying Place and enjoying a terrific hamburger lunch at George's. This hamburger joint offers California style homemade burgers. Without the expense of traveling all the way to California. George's can found on Highway 33 in the village of Carrying Place, where highway 33 meets Mathie Rd.

Then it was time for us to have our fun at the Trenton Air Show. The weather was good, and It was a real enjoyment being there. The highlight of the show for me. Was having the chance to see a F-86 Sabre Jet fly. It was just the second time I had the pleasure to witness one take to the skies. A vintage flying museum,located in Gatineau, Quebec, named Vintage Wings. Was responsible for having a F-86 Sabre restored to flying condition. The F-86 is painted in the colors of the Golden Hawks Canadian aerobatic team. This team was entertaining crowds back in the 1960's. Long before the Snow Birds were formed. This classic airplane has been named "Hawk 1"

The other thrill experienced at the show. Was having the chance to have an on board tour of the Avro Lancaster. The Lanc did make an appearance at the Trenton Show. It was part of the static display. I will post some excellent pictures of being aboard the Lancaster. This airplane was the workhorse of the RAF during world war 2. There are only two airworthy Lancaster's left in the world. Our Lancster is based at Canadian Warplane Heritage, located in Hamilton, Ontario.

I would like to thank all involved in Trenton for putting on an excellent airshow, and for Keith and Sandie for making me feel at home, at there home.

Also I would like to thank Keith for shooting some excellent pictures and video from the airshow. The airshow pictures have been posted.

1 comment: