Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Deception Pass Bridge







Wow, I made it to Washington State. It is defiantly one of the most beautiful states to visit in the U.S.A.

The trip went pretty smooth getting here. I woke up early. Just to prevent from sleeping in. I arrived at the airport about 4:25, and was the first to arrive at the West Jet gate at 5 AM. My flight departed about 20 minutes late, at 7:20.

I have to say I was very pleased with West Jet's effort to try and make the flying experience with them, as friendly and stress free as possible.

My only problem with the trip going was caused my Thrifty Rent A Car company. I had a reservation with them. That was not honored on arrival. The conflict arouse when I admitted the truth to Thrifty that I was intending to drive there rented car into the U.S.A. The Thrifty sales representative. Quickly alerted me. That they would not provide unlimited KM driven. If I drove the car into the U.S.A., compared to driving the car only in Canada. What is the difference? I just don't see one. Thrifty was prepared to charge me $20 a day extra on the cost of the rental.

However, I refused to give into Thrifty unfair policy. I received a fair rental deal from Avis Car Rental Company, and was on my way to Washington State. Without being delayed for very long.

I had no problem finding my way out of the Vancouver Airport, and to the U.S. boarder. The problem and frustration was getting across the boarder. It took almost one hour to pass U.S. customs, and be allowed entry into the United States. This was caused by a large volume of cars, and the U.S. immigration officers being very thorough.

When I finally made it across the boarder. I started on my way to Anacortes, Washington. Anacortes is located on Fildago Island. Which is the gateway, getting to the San Juan Islands. On the way I stopped off highway 5, and had lunch at a Sonic restaurant. Sonic is one of the oldest fast food chain restaurants, located in U.S. They were established in 1948. They are known for there great hamburgers, there large beverage menu, and service "faster then the speed of sound". I enjoyed the junk food meal, and the onion rings were as good as it gets.

Before I started on my way. I installed my trusty GPS system for the final way to Anacortes, and the place where I would be staying. The San Juan Motel. My GPS did a great job, and guided me right to my final destination. GPS navigation devices are fantastic to have on a driving trip. Like the one I'm currently on.

I am very happy with the town of Anacortes. It is a very nice place. I'm located very close to the ferry docks, and to restaurants and shopping. I decided to spend a second full day here.

I felt totally tired after I checked into the motel. The room is very nice, with a comfortable bed, and free wireless computer access. Which is standard now for most accommodations. I decided to have a well needed 1/2 hour snooze. After being refreshed I drove to see the famous "Deception Pass Bridge". Which is located on near by Whidbey Island. The bridge is located about 15 minute drive from Anacortes. The bridge was built in 1935 to connect Fildago Island with Pass Island. There is actually two separate bridges. The Canoe Pass Bridge connects Pass Island with Whidbey Island. The bridges total length is 1487 feet and the height over the water is 180 feet, but that depends if the tide is in or out. This place of great beauty is one of the scenic wonders of the Pacific Northwest region, and should be visited during your trip here. I walked the bridge completely. Shooting some excellent pictures and video. I look forward to posting the pictures on the blog. However it will have to wait, as I forgot to pack the USB cable for my camera. I always forget something.

A special note about the Deception Pass. It called by this name because it appears the current is flowing in two opposite directions, through the pass. That is the deception.

I enjoyed a find Mexican meal in the "El Jinete" Mexican restaurant, located within walking distance of my motel. I enjoyed a very nice beef fajitas. Both the food and service were very good. I look very forward to my day tomorrow. I will do a biking tour of some of the near by Jan Juan Islands

No comments:

Post a Comment