Saturday, November 16, 2013

Real Life Movie Star!

Today was a travel day for me. As I set out for the "Sunshine State" of Florida. For my one week of adventure and fun. Getting the chance to enjoy and explore "The Florida Keys". The trip got off to a frustrating start. Do to the poor service of Sunwing Airlines. As they choose to not have enough agents on staff. To accommodate there flying passengers. Standing in a lineup at 4:30 am for 1 1/2 hours. Trying to checked in for the flight. Was not a fun experience!

But lets forget about that now. So I can start to report on some happy memories. My GPS was again stellar in guarding me from Fort Lauderdale Airport. To find the "Everglades Hostel", located in Florida City. After getting antiquated with the hostel. With a very nice hostel employee. I ate some badly needed lunch. At this point I was running completely on adrenalin. I starting heading south on US highway 1 towards Key Largo. I picked up a few necessary travel survival supplies at a Winn Dixie. I then located a very nice Florida State Park on Key Largo named "John Pennerkamp Coral Reef Park. I just relaxed and savored the moment that I was back in Florida and on a vacation!!!!!!!

A friendly lady park ranger gave me the location of "The African Queen". Yes real royalty has found refuge in the Florida Keys. For this real life movie star can be found alive and well in the year 2013. This hard working and middle classed boat. Which is now over 100 years old. Starred in the classic 1951 movie with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. It was excellent to see the old girl! The African Queen is awaiting a restoration of her boiler so her reliable steam engine can spring back to life. Tomorrow my Destination is Key West!

Trailer of the 1951 movie "The African Queen".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88jytHOsDos

1 comment: