Sunday, July 12, 2015

Bike Ride to Point Clark Lighthouse

Beautiful first day of my holiday visiting the "Bruce Peninsula". I woke up feeling ambitious and energetic. I looked forward to a nice bike ride today. I got my wish. I rode to "Station Beach" located in Kincardine. I stated to ride south along the shores of Lake Huron and just keep going. All the way to visit the historic lighthouse located at "Point Clark".

The ride went well and was enjoyed! I passed beautiful scenic views of Lake Huron, mixed green vegetation and also all of the homes that are overlooking Lake Huron. I did enjoy a nice small pizza for my lunch today. At the "Village" pizza place located very close to the lighthouse.

I have included some information on this historic lighthouse.

The Point Clark Lighthouse is a National Historic Site and was one of the first ‘imperial towers’ to flash its light. Six of these majestic towers were built by John Brown on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay in the 1850s. Built of limestone from nearby Inverhuron, the Point Clark Lighthouse stands 26.5 metres (80 feet) high, featuring 112 steps to get to the top. The stone tower is topped by a 12-sided lantern framed in cast iron, with a domed roof. A bronze lion head at each angle of the eaves directs rainwater away from the tower. The light stands 87 feet from the base of the tower. In 2009, The Point Clark Lighthouse was honoured to be one of six lighthouses chosen from across Canada to decorate a postage stamp.

The lighthouse was acquired by Parks Canada in 1967 to commemorate the vital role of lighthouses in navigation on the Great Lakes. The lightkeeper’s dwelling, built at the same time as the Lighthouse, is now operated as a museum by the Township of Huron-Kinloss.

Over the past 5 years, the Lighthouse has undergone extensive reconstruction. Scaffolding and tarps have covered the Lighthouse Tower during the construction period, while workers replaced old, crumbling stones and installed new windows. To date over 300 stones have been replaced, the entire tower has been re-grouted and two coats of white-wash applied. If you are interested in learning more about the restoration, please visit the Lighthouse Museum to watch a video of the process.

Also my pictures from my bike ride to visit the Point Clark Lightouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment