Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Lone Wolfe & A Walk In A National Park

Yesterday I finally made it to Tobormory. It was a beautiful day. Mother Nature was at her best to create a great day!. It is a 2 hour drive from Kincardine to get to Tobormory. You are inland all the way. There are no scenic spots where you get some views of Lake Huron, or Georgian Bay.

Tobormory is a very small town. I believe the population is 3,800. Tobermory is a very popular place in the summer. The main purpose of the town is a gateway to get Manitoulin Island by boat. The Ferry Terminal takes up a large area of Tobermory. Also very popular is the boat cruise/tour to get to "Flowerpot Island". This popular island is a short boat ride from Tobermory and is a part of "Fathom 5" National Marine Park. Yes Tobermory is also very popular with scuba divers with all of remains of shipwrecks that can be found here.
I did a short bike ride around the town. I had to decide the best plan for today's activities. I took a pass on a visit to Flowerpot Island. I got a tip from a local lady who recommended a fish & ship place. Located a short distance south of Tobormory. The place is called "Lone Wolf". With that name I just had to check it out. The Lone Wolf fish & chip wagon is also located very close to the "Bruce Peninsula National Park". So I decided after lunch I would pay a visit to my second National Park located in Canada.

I found the Lone Wolf without any problem. Was greeted my a very nice young lady named Merissa. The fish and chips were good. Very casual eating. But it was a good experience. Then I drove into the Bruce Peninsula National Park. The park is located on Georgian Bay. The Bruce Trail, Canada's premier hiking trail runs right threw the park. On it's way to where it ends in the town of Tobermory.

You drive about 5 KM to get to the parking lot. It was a perfect day for doing a hike. Not a cloud in the sky, no humidity. Really a perfect day to do a walk in the park. I hiked the Georgian Bay Trail to get to the "Bruce Trail. Very scenic views of Georgian Bay. Mostly young people were swimming in Georgian Bay on the rocks below. Not really a hot day. Swimming in freezing water is not my idea of fun. But a lot of people were swimming in this beautiful and unique place.

I walked along the coast which is very rocky, as a part of the "Bruce Trail. After a short distance. You reach "Boulder Beach" which is also a part of the Bruce Trail. You have to cross the beach until you reach the Marr Lake trail. Which takes you back to the parking lot.

After the hike. I made the decision to head back to Kincardine. To enjoy the sunset on this picture perfect day. I first stopped off and had dinner at the "Lighthouse Restaurant" located in Southampton. Very good family restaurant at a very good price. Restarants like this are almost a thing of the past in the Greater Toronto Area. It was a very nice sunset enjoyed. But very cold out for July. A great day. Like where I'm staying here in Kincardine. It is a good place to call home during this vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment