Friday, July 17, 2015

My Tour Of The Chantry Island Lighthouse

My final full day. Of my visit to the Bruce Peninsula was enjoyed. I stated to with a hardy breakfast at Jean's Family Restaurant. Which is located a very short distance from my digs located here in Kincardine, the Knight's Inn. The ham and eggs were enjoyed, and the coffee that they serve at Jean's is also very good!

Then I attended the antique show that was being held Port Elgin. I did have a good look around at this show. There were not a lot of interesting items at this show. Which proved to be a disappointment.

Then I drove onto Southampton. First to enjoy some pizza at Roberto's located at 232 High St. I got a tip from a local person to try this restaurant. The tip was a good one! The sauce and crust of this pizza were both excellent. Then I moved onto the highlight of my day. I had booked a day trip to visit the Chantry Island Lighthouse. Located only 1 KM from the coast of Southampton.

My tour was scheduled to leave Southampton Harbor at 1pm. I arrived in plenty of time. To board the tour board. Which would transport us to Chantry Island. To have an opportunity to tour this historic lighthouse. The "Chantry Island Lighthouse was built in 1859. There has been more then 50 shipwrecks in the vicinity of Chantry Island. Due to the shallow water and rocks and sandbars that surround the island. Combined with storms that take place on Lake Huron. Can prove a disaster for mariners. The Chantry Island Lighthouse was automated in 1950's, and remains in service. The island was declared a bird sanctuary in 1957. The weather proved to fine for the tour. It had rained earlier in the day. But during the day-trip the conditions were now overcast and pleasant. The captain of the tour boat Rick and our tour guide Matt. Both did a great job.

The tour was enjoyed and will be a lasting positive memory of this trip. It is always a great opportunity to visit historic that is still a part of our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment