Sunday, June 13, 2010

Portland "City of Roses"





alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5482404679260382866"











The weather was rainy on Thursday the 10th of June, and I made the decision to travel right back to Portland. This way I would have a good chance to visit Oregon largest city.

This handsome and attractive city has been nicknamed "The City of Roses". It is a very fitting handle, as Portland is the greenest city I have ever had the pleasure to visit. With one exception. That would be the city of York, located in England.

Soon after arriving in Portland you feel like you do in the rest of this great U.S. state. As plants and trees of all shapes and descriptions are everywhere. The residential streets are adorned with with beautiful trees, and all of the homes feature beautiful gardens, and yes most people grow roses. These famous and colourful flowers enjoy growing in the temperate climate that Portland enjoys. As the city is located where the Willamette and Columbia Rivers converge. Also the city is 100 miles away from the Pacific Ocean, and 60 miles away from Mount Hood. There prize mountain of the Cascade Range.

Also like the rest of Oregon. This city is famous for keeping it's history alive and well. There are still many ornate bridges still in use, crossing the Willamette River. Oregon seems to go with the great philosophy to "Treasure and to go back to the past. Because the Future looks so dull". I wonder what great singer-songwriter said that?

I stayed right in the Hawthorne Distract. So when I arrived in Portland. I had the chance to drive over the 100 year "Hawthorne Bridge". I also had the pleasure of riding over the bridge on my bike. Here is a little bit of the history of this Portland landmark. The Hawthorne Bridge is the oldest vertical lift bridge in United States. It is the oldest highway bridge in Portland. It is also the busiest bicycle and transit bridge in Oregon, with over 4,800 cyclists and 750 TriMet buses daily.

The Hawthorne Distract was enjoyable for me. Because the shopping was great. With two Lp stores, book stores and other interesting stores there, to browse in. This is what I did on Thursday, as the raining in Portland on this day was almost non-stop.

My Friday and last day of this trip was a great way to end my Oregon Expedition. I completed a 10 miles bike ride. Mainly enjoying the scenes along the Willamette River, in the morning. In the afternoon. New friend Tim B. and I set out to explore (The Green Zone). My name for the beautiful and unique "Columbia River Gorge". We also managed to get in a great hike. As we hiked Latourell Falls. The hike distance was about 2.5 miles.

Now sit back and enjoy some great pictures of the "City of Roses" Portland, Oregon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking they should have the Rose Bowl here and save alotta money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would also love Portland, Michael. It is a beautiful city, and exists in a different world! That is the way Oregon is.

    ReplyDelete