Saturday, June 5, 2010

Welcome To "Oregon"








Well here I am! Happily I writing this post to my Travel Wolfe blog from beautiful Oregon.

Overall the day has gone very smooth. There was only one minor glitch. Which I will talk about later. But is has been a very positive day. The experience at Toronto Airport was nothing compared the fiasco I and everyone else endured, on the 5th of February, 2010.

The flights were very much on time. I was very impressed with the airport located in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota. The airport in Portland like the state of Oregon is fantastic. Very modern and clean with all of the amenities. You would expect from a airport located in a major city.

Here is the glitch. As always I was well organised for my departure from the family home, located in Brampton. I left the home at 3;30 am. To make sure to get a early arrival at Toronto Airport. My taxi was 5 minutes late. Also the taxi company did not give me a wake up call at 3am, that was requested. However that didn't matter as I was up anyhow.

When the taxi driver arrived. He was more then happy to assist in loading all of my luggage. On this trip I am travelling with one medium suitcase, one carry-on bag, and my camera bag. With all 3 items loaded in the taxi. I closed and locked the side door of the house. Five seconds after I had closed the door. I realized that I had made a mistake. I forgot to change my shoes. I was planing to wear my waterproof Gore-tex "North Face" hiking shoes. I left wearing a cheap pair of sneakers. Those are the brakes. I was planing to purchase a new pair of water proof hiking shoes on this trip anyhow. Oregon is one of those places where you will find a great opportunity to do so.

So everything fell right into place after I picked up the rent a car from Thrifty. A fellow working for Thrifty recommended a store named "The Sports Authority" would carry a large selection of hiking shoes. I went to purchase my new shoes. I was in for good luck. I found in the discounted shoe section a pair of "North Face" Gore-tex hiking shoes that I have been wearing and enjoying for the past 2 years. Also they were my size 9, and were selling for $70. A great deal because I paid $100 for them on sale in Vermont 2 years ago. Also this great state has no sales tax. Yes you are reading correctly. There is "NO" sales tax in Oregon. Wow are we ever being ripped!!!!!

After I purchased the shoes. Then I picked up my bike for this trip. More good luck. Mike W. who I came across selling a mountain bike on Craig's List. Was selling a rideable used bike to me. The deal is, that I paid him $20 to rent the bike for the week. What better deal can you get then that. There are a lot of good people left in this world. However they are not politicians. At least the politicians not calling Oregon home.

I then hit the open road for the Oregon Coast. I took route 6 to the town of Tillamook. From there it was 10 miles north to the fishing village of Garibaldi. The drive was a real pleasure.

I have included some great pictures on this post from my drive along route 6, and from flying along the Columbia River Gorge. I enjoyed some fine views of "The Magnificent One" Yes the great ambassador and symbol of Oregon, Mount Hood!!!!

The picture of the lake is of "Lost Lake" which lies below Mt. Hood.

3 comments:

  1. The delay to finish the post was due to Jet Lag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you flew in on an airbus I see...AWESOME shots of mount hood...

    HEY I flew that arrival (called the BONVL.5 arrival) onto runway 28R in the sim!

    http://altstiffsim.blogspot.com/2010/03/canada-3000.html

    ReplyDelete