Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Key

The key made by the friendly locksmith in Monteray, California.

This is a post that I have been meaning to do for quite some time. Better late then never.
The story is about a key that was made for a bike lock. The bike lock in question was given to me by long time friend Radar G. When Radar gave me the lock. I was just starting my interest to become a biking enthusiast. Of course you need a reliable lock. To keep your bike safe. Keeping thieves at bay.

The lock was given to me by Radar. He informed me that he had misplaced the extra key. So he only had one key for the lock. Which is a problem. What good is a lock, if you only have one key. You always need a backup plan. In case something goes wrong. Just in case you loose or misplace the existing key. A replacement key would be a necessity. Especially if you take the bike lock on a trip.

After receiving the lock. I tried several times in The Greater Toronto Area to have a second key made for the lock. I had no luck in doing so. I took the lock and existing key into places that made keys, and also to locksmiths. I got nowhere with trying to get a second key made. These are some of the answers I received; It can't be done, it would be too expensive to have made, it is a bike lock and it is impossible to find a blank to cut a duplicate key.

I wasn't ready to give up. Failure was not an option. I was going on a trip to California in the winter of 2007. I took my folding Dehon bike with me on this trip. Also I took the bike lock along. Hoping I could find someone that would and could make the key for me, during my vacation. I first tried in San Francesco. No luck was found in the city by the Bay.

Finally I was visiting the city of Monterey. I found a locksmith and took the key in. I showed the key to the owner of the shop. He was a very friendly man. He informed me that a duplicate key could be made. But he needed to see the lock as well. I was now full of optimism. I returned to where I was staying in Monterey. Picked up the bike lock, and quickly drove back to locksmith's shop. The locksmith had his young assistant make the key for me. It took him 5 minutes, and the cost was $5. I was thrilled! This key has always held special meaning for me.

Don't let them every tell you. It can't be done!

The bike lock with the orginal key.


No comments:

Post a Comment