Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Shelburne Museum

Today the rain came in full force. So it was a day to do some inside activity. I made my way after breakfast towards Burlington. Vermont's only real city. A very beautiful and nice city it is.
Before I reached Burlington. I first stopped in for an early lunch in the village of Charlotte. Pronounced Char-Lotte! I enjoyed a nice turkey sandwich at there country store. Then I continued north on Vermont Route 7. Until I reached the town of Shelburne. The home of the Shelburne Museum. Electra Havemeyer Webb founded the museum in 1947. Mrs Webb used her wealth to collect, restore, and maintain various parts of American history. On the 45 acre site are 25 historic buildings which Mrs Webb purchased and had moved to the museum grounds. The most famous being the 1906 Ticonderoga. Which was salvaged and moved to the museum in 1955. Then went through a complete restoration.

I enjoyed my tour on the Ticonderoga. Also I enjoyed the tour of the science fiction collection. That was on display in the Webb Gallery. There was also an excellent display of classic snowmobiles in the round-barn. Mrs. Webb also collected a rare collection of automatons.

The final picture is a replica of the "Time Machine" used in the 1960 movie. Based on the book by H.G. Wells.

This was a great day on the trip. The drive back to Hancock became a challenging experience. Driving at night can be difficult in Vermont. Due to the fact that the state is all beautiful country. Translating into no lights on the roadways when it gets dark. So you better have your directions decided upon. To get you, to where you are going. Also your car better be up to the challenge. Good working high beams, windshield wipers, and reliable tires. Are all a necessity!

When I left Burlington. The rain returned with a vengeance. I now found myself driving in a downpour. I was thinking about taking "The Green Mountain" Parkway (Interstate 89) to route 100 at Waterbury. Then south on route 100 for about 34 miles back to Hancock. However I put my faith in my always reliable Garmin GPS.

The GPS decided on the route. It took me off of highway 89. We were now on a southbound course heading towards route 125 and the village of Ripton. I was driving in Pitch Darkness and a driving rainstorm. It was concerning because if I ran into car problems. I would be stranded in the middle of nowhere. With no use of a cell phone to call for help. Also I had turned up a small lane. The GPS told me that this was the proper route to take. But to me it looked like the wrong way.

I had a minor problem trying to back up to turn around. So I could reverse my course. I was patience and never lost my cool. I finally backed up enough and found a place. So I could turn my Corolla around. When I turned around the GPS recalculated and directed me on the proper route to get me to Ripton, and easily find my way back to "The Gathering Inn". I arrived back at the Inn at 8:50 after leaving Burlington at 7:30. Thanks to my ever reliable Toyota Corolla. My car was never fazed by the bad weather, and performed with determination and guts. This gusty car had taken me on many of an adventure. Taking me to the places. Where I really want to go!

My old Corolla is reaching the 300,000 KM Plateau. This car has been a big help to me in my life. Providing reliable transportation to get to work. So I could afford holidays in Vermont. Then taking me on the trips to Vermont. A good move for this trip. On reaching Vermont. I decided to use High Octane Gas in my old car. It really made a big positive difference in my old car. Also in the U.S. high octane gas is 93 or 94 octane. In the Greater Toronto Area. When you fill up with Super. You only get 91 Octane. I filled up the tank with high Octane in Vermont for only $40. I'm sure it would of cost me $55 to $60 in Toronto.

I enjoyed a cold "Otter Creek" Oktoberfest Beer. To celebrate my safe return home to the Gathering Inn! While I updated this blog! What an adventure the drive home was!

















No comments:

Post a Comment