Monday, October 5, 2009

Up to the top of Mt. Ascutney







Well things are defiantly looking up for Vermont trip number 4. My heath I'm happy to say is looking better. Howard and I did breakfast at New York Bagels. Located right beside the Hotel Coolidge. Howard enjoyed coffee and two toasted bagels. I finished 1/2 of a Subway veggie sandwich from last night. I washed it down with a chamomile tea and a also enjoyed a oatmeal raisin cookie.

Then we were off to Windsor, Vermont. This tranquil little town located south of White River Junction on the Connecticut River. Is the original capital of the newly formed country of Vermont, which dates it beginning back to 1777. Windsor is also the home of the Cornish-Windsor Bridge. Which is the longest covered bridge in the world. But Howard and I main reason for being in Windsor on this day. Was to make it to the top of Mt. Ascutney. Last year I did a hike on the mountain, and only made it half the way to the top. This year I would again make the attempt of making it to the top of this wonderful Green Mountain, known Mt. Ascutney. Was I up to this challenge? We would soon find out.

Howard and myself ventured up the "Futures Trail". That was recommended by one on the experienced park rangers. That regularly works in Mt. Ascutney State Park. The trail was a long one. Howard and I choose to start at the halfway point on the trail. Because I am still not up to 100% shape, and Howard was also planing to ride back by bike to white River Junction, from Windsor.

Happy to say the hike went very well. Howard and were successful in reaching the summit at a point called "Castle Rock". The views were outstanding from the top of Mt. Ascutney. I believed we were located on the east side of the top. I also believe we were enjoying a great view of Mt. Washington, located in the State of New Hampshire. Mt. Washington at 6,288 ft is the highest Peak in the Northeastern United States. Howard and I also enjoyed using my micro hiking stove on the top of Mt. Ascutney. I had a hot noddles and veggies soup. Howard had a coffee. We now had the renewed energy for the return trip, down Mt. Ascutney. Happy to say all went well. We both made, and enjoyed our hike up Mt. Ascutney. It is always a special pleasure to enjoy an intimate experience on any of the Green Mountains.

After we were down Mt. Ascutney. Howard and I drove to the Harpoon Brewery, located on the outskirts of Windsor. We both enjoyed some of the finest beer brewed in Vermont. Also Howard and I enjoyed a sandwich. Howard had a veggie burger. I consumed a tuna melt. Then Howard was off on a bike ride. I drove the van back to White River Junction. I first went to the thrift store located in town. I purchased a very nice and expensive "The North Face" wind breaker for $6. I also tried to visit the antique mall located in West Lebanon. However it was already closed.

I then came back to the Hotel Coolidge to have a snooze. I met up with Howard after the rest. He was using his laptop in the reception area of the hotel. I had some more healthy Chinese food for my dinner. My appetite is still not back to normal. But I am getting better. Tomorrow's forecast is for sunny weather. I look very forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment