Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Vermont- A Special World!





For those who read this post. You may get an idea. How special this place that is named "Vermont", is. This is my 4th visit here. The special feeling you get when you are here. Never gets old. On your return here, it actually makes you feel young and reborn. I believe it is due to the quiet and the peace that predominates throughout this land. Also it is the endless natural beauty, that is always your friend and companion. That is what makes Vermont, a special world.

Today after Howard and I enjoyed breakfast at the Tukerbox coffee shop. It is White River Junction's version of Star Bucks. We headed towards the town of Woodstock. Howard and I decided we were going to do a bike ride recommended in one of the two Vermont cycling books, that I own. The ride started at the "Billing Farm" located very close to Woodstock. It would take us north to the village of Barnard . The total distance of the bike ride would be 19.6 miles.

Howard and I spoke to a local who just had finished the ride. The lady recommended that we do the ride in the opposite direction, to that of my Vermont cycling book. The first leg of our journey was pleasant at the start. Then we started to gain altitude, and hit a dirt road section. There was no let up in the climb. However I dug in, and keep peddling to reach the top of the climb, and then veer west into the village of Barnard . It was a great feeling to reach the top. Then Howard and I made the left turn to head into Barnard. There was a huge downhill section, before we reached the village. I was tired but felt satisfied as Howard and I reached the historic General store in Barnard.

Howard and I enjoyed a nice break at the General store. I ate a bagel fried egg sandwich, and Howard enjoyed a granola bar and a coffee. After about a break of 1/2 of hour. Howard and I were on our way heading south on route 12, and heading back to the Billing Farm, about 10 miles away. The ride out of Barnard started with a gradual climb. I felt tired as again we started to climb. Up one more hill. I have to keep my legs moving. Then after reaching the top of the hill. It was all downhill from there. The return trip went much quicker. It was a great feeling of accomplishment to see the Billings Farm again.

Howard was not done riding yet. He had made the decision to ride back to White River Junction, from Woodstock. So I put my bike in the Vermont mobile, and I drove back to the Junction. Howard would connect back with me. About 1 and 30 minutes later. Howard is a great bike rider, and loves the sport of cycling.

The title of this posting is dedicated not only to this fantastic place. But to a 1969 book I purchased at the Colonial antique mall. This unique book is titled "Vermont- A Special World", and was published by Vermont Life magazine. It will make the perfect souvenir of this great trip.

Tomorrow morning Howard and I, are off to the village of Ludlow.

No comments:

Post a Comment