Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Capital Hill







Today I spent the day enjoying Capital Hill in Washington. Most of the time was spent in the Library of Congress. Which I will talk and do a separate post later on. I may go back to take some pictures of this incredible place. I believe that is a must!

For now I will talk about my experience visiting the Capital building of the United Sates. For good reasons security is everywhere here in Washington D.C. Other then being in Vermont. I'm sure Washington D.C. is the safest place I have every been. There are police everywhere. Plus the plain cloths police, and the video surveillant that you know is on duty. There are regular District of Columbia Police, Capital Hill Police. Plus the Secret Service are also actively monitoring the Capital of the U.S. to make sure that no serious problems develop. I'm also sure that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are also playing a major part in keeping Washington D.C. safe.

You do not enter any important building in Washington D.C. without going through mental detectors, or having bags searched. That includes most of the Smithsonian museums that I have visited. While on Capital Hill today. I even watched by a officer with an able bodied canine that were on regular patrol looking for bombs.

My experience in the "Library of Congress" was incredible to say the least. It is a very incredible building to say the least. You will not find any other building in the world that will out impress you like the "Library of Congress" will. The tour and the guide for our tour were both excellent! If you are interested in history, and collections of books or rare antiquities. They you will feel like a kid in a candy store. During your visit here!!!

The Library of Congress have the only know copy of Bible of Mainz. Also they have a rare complete copy of the Gutenberg Bible. Both these books had an amazing impact on the history of our world. They were insignificant in spreading knowledge all around the world. In the form of written books. It was compared in significant. To what the internet has done in our world today. I'm still hoping to find my copy of the Gutenberg Bible at a Goodwill Store. I will always be a dreamer!!!!

After the great tour of the library, that I did video tape. Hoping to upload a good part of the video on You Tube in the future. Of convenience I walked through a tunnel to get into the Capital Building from The Library of Congress. That saved me a hassle with the Capital Building security. As no food or liquids were allowed to taken into the Capital Building. I did have a bottle of water and some snacks in my day pack. Plus I had some a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my camera bag. The Library of Congress security was not as strict. Once inside the Library of Congress I was also able to check my jacket and day pack. Which allowed me to pass through the Capital Building security with no problems.

When I arrived in the Capital Building visitor center. I enjoyed a great lunch in there Cafeteria. I enjoyed barbecued pulled pork on a whole wheat bun. Served on the side was a nice mixture of roasted root veggies. I also enjoyed the bean soup. Which was delicious! My beverage was a healthy peach ice tea drink.

The tour of the Capital Building was lame compared to the tour of the "Library of Congress. Although it was still enjoyed.

The bottom picture of this post is of "The Supreme Court Building"

2 comments:

  1. You only went there on Willard Scott's advice. Send him a nasty note!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I went through a mental detector I wouldn't even set it off.

    ReplyDelete