Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Donny is going to Washington!!!

As I write this post on my travel blog. I am officially on vacation until the 28 of February. Time off from work is always a good thing. Just the relief of not having to meet deadlines. Not having to commute to work. Not having the monotony of living the way we normally do. Can be very beneficial.

Due to the problem of trying to deal with serious heath problems of my parents. I am very lucky to be traveling at all during my 3 week vacation. Hoping that all will go well at home during my week away. But I do need the time away. Traveling will always be a special pleasure in my life.

Just of interest. I had the chance to visit Washington D.C. back when I was attending high-school. During my grade 12 year. That would of been back in 1978. I was enrolled in history that year. Our family was living in Malton back in those days. I was attending "Westwood" high-school, located in Malton. The final 2 1/2 years of my school career was the most enjoyable time for me. I enjoyed the classmates I had at Westwood. Also the teachers that were working at Westwood were also excellent. The best teacher I enjoyed back then was my grade 12 history teacher. His name "Brian Harrison". The class was "World Revolutions". The best way to describe Brian Harrison teaching ability. Mr. Harrison was like have actor Gabe Kaplan of "Welcome Back" fame for real!!

When it came time for our history class with Mr. Harrison. No one ever thought about skipping his class. Brian Harrison was a natural born entertainer and a great teacher combined. He made learning in his class fun.

During that school year, in 1978. Mr. Harrison had organized a school trip to visit Washington D.C. I declined to go on the trip. The reasons being. I did attend a school trip in 1974 to visit Quebec City and Montreal. This trip turned out be a terrible time for me. The main part of the problem was during a stay at a Montreal hotel. Where our tour group was staying for the night. Some of my class mates got out of hand during the night. Yes I was included in the all night loud party that happened. However the teachers blamed me for being one of the instigators of the loud party. For the rest of the trip I was treated poorly by the teachers that were suppose to be looking out for us. I did not enjoy the trip at all. From this bad experience I vowed not to go on any more school trips.

Thinking back to those times. Kids do stupid and immature things during our youth. Sometimes we have to make mistakes to learn. That is all part of living. Also the teachers that were suppose to supervise 14 year olds during a school trip. Did a disappointing job. It was also unfair the way they treated me at the time. This caused me to make a wrong decision not going on the Brian Harrison trip in 1978.

But now I get the chance to finally make it to Washington D.C. I have always wanted to tour the Smithsonian museums. They are world famous. Also I get to enjoy the history of the United States. I have always enjoyed living, and reliving famous events in our history. I can't wait to visit Washington. Washington D.C. here I come!!!!

I would to thank friend Mark S. for giving my the idea of making this trip happen. Never ignore good advise from a friend!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment