Saturday, February 12, 2011

Walk to see D.C.











Good morning from Washington D.C. Enjoyed a good breakfast from the hostel. At 9 am there is a free walking tour. That is organized by this HI Hostel. It should be a good way to enjoy my first full day during my Washington experience.

Our guide name is Bob. Nice guy and experienced Washington travel guide. We left the hostel right after 9am. We walked down to the National Mall. That is where all of the best historic places and the Smithsonian museums are located. The National Mall begins at the Capital building and ends at the Lincoln Memorial. That is where are tour of the National Mall began.

We had a chance to visit the Lincoln Memorial, and all of the war memorials of: World War 1,2, The Vietnam and Korean Wars. The most impressive in my opinion by far is the Korean War Memorial.

Our tour ended at the Washington Monument. Bob gave us a chance to obtain free tickets to go up the Washington Memorial for 1;30pm. It was noon when we broke off for lunch. After lunch most of our tour group when back to go up the Washington Monument to enjoy the free ride to the top. Waiting in line. The man organizing the group to go up to the top. Informed us that there were no knifes or weapons allowed in the Monument. I was carrying my Swiss Army Knife in backpack. Instead of risking a incident. I gave up my place in the line. I will do the trip to the top of the Washington Monument before I leave Washington D.C.

I then continued down the National Mall. I was know surrounded by the Smithsonian Museums, which are world famous for good reasons. I did a brief visit the American History Museum which contains the oldest "Star Spangled Banner" still in existence. Then onto to have a look in the original Smithsonian Castle. Which know acts as the Smithsonian visitor center. Then I went to a visit to Air and Space. This museum is the most popular museum in the world attracting the most visitors.
I enjoyed to see The "Spirit of St. Louis", the original Wright Brothers Flyer 1903, and many more historic aircraft. I also watched a movie in the "Einstein Planetarium' that is located in the Air and Space Museum.

After all of that I was ready for a rest. Tonight I'm planing to visit the Horizon Center to watch the Washington Wizards play in a NBA basketball game.

2 comments:

  1. Bob Crane from Hogans Heros? Still planning on a show at the Ford Theater?

    Not allowed to take shots inside the air and space museum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Bob Crane is deceased. I didn't see any signs. Prohibiting any photos to be taken at Air and Space.

    ReplyDelete