Sunday, July 16, 2017

Finally a Done Deal!



Heading south on Island Line Causeway to Colchester.

Happy to report. I finally completed the entire route of the Burlington Bike Way. Several years ago. It was early October. A friendly local bike rider who I had met. During a Vermont vacation. Alerted me about the Island Line Trail. That originally was a direct link for freight trains to reach South Hero Island from the mainland.The rail causeway that connects Colchester and South Hero Island. Goes back to 1901. It is 3 1/2 miles crossing Lake Champlain. Their is a 61 meter gap in the causeway today. That allows boats free access to Lake Champlain from Mallets Bay. The gap replaced an old swing bridge that was in use until the 1960's. A group named "Local Motion" operates the bike Ferry that shuttles bike riders across the gap for and $8 return ticket. During my first attempt at completing the Burlington Bike Path/Island Line Trail. It was autumn and I rode my bike from downtown Burlington to the gap. During that time of the year. The bike ferry does not operate.

It was certainly a positive day for me. As I got to complete what I had begun a few years ago. As always I have tried to capture all of the fond memories in  photographs. Thanks to  my newly acquired Sony 12.1 Megapixel camera for doing a nice job!
The Bike Ferry operated by "Local Motion".



Arrived on the Mainland in Colchester.




Biking towards Burlington.

A very nice lunch enjoyed at the Church Street Tavern.




Biking back home to the Ring Dang Doo Bunk House located on South Hero Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment