Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Guernsey- The Channel Islands- Summer 2000

An excellent side excursion on our trip through France. Was a day trip to the island of Guernsey, in the Channel Islands. Guernsey is the second largest of the chain. 4 of the 5 islands lie in the Gulf of St. Mallo, off of the coast of France. Peter and I ventured to Guernsey from the historic French port city of St. Mallo. Our boat ride was a bit rough. I almost got sea sick. But when we finally arrived in the capital town of Guernsey. Which is St. Peter Port. Any feeling of sickness quickly went away. I was amazed to say the least when I laid eyes on St. Peter Port for the first time. I’m sure that the famous French writer Victor Hugo had exactly the same feeling as I. He was lucky to have called Guernsey his home for 15 years. And where Victor Hugo wrote some of his most famous work including Les Misérables. They said that he use to write while standing. Looking out of the window of his home in St. Peter Port, and enjoying the fantastic views of the Gulf of St. Mallo. I have never felt so at home and relaxed in all of my life. Peter and I rented bikes and did a very enjoyable ride along the south coast, and stopped for lunch in a pub. Then we rode to the north coast of the island. Back through the interior to St. Peter Port to get on the ferry. To take us back to St. Mallo. The day trip to Guernsey remains of one of the main highlights of the summer trip to France in 2000. I do hope to make it back to the Channel Islands in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment