Wednesday, April 2, 2008

New Oreleans- November 2002

2002 was my holiday in New Orleans. Again I received a lot of support from my long time friend Radar Gutzman. He is now employed by Josie C.. Who has been racing winters in New Orleans. Again this trip was motivated by Mr. Jimmy Buffett. As a young man, he grew up in Mobile, Alabama. The Gulf Coast helped to create the Man from Margaritaville. His professional singing career began in New Orleans in the 1960’s. So it was pilgrimage for me. A religious experience for me to travel to this area. Radar again was very helpful in arranging free accommodations for me at the racetrack. Josie C. was happy to provide a working via for me. That would entitle me to be licensed at the Fair Grounds race track, and have a free place to live. That is very helpful to a traveler. Because the expense of accommodations. Can be the biggest expense of any vacation. On this journey I drove all the way from Toronto in my new car. My 2001 Toyota Corolla. It was a long drive. However I did it in 2 days. The first part is to Louisville, Kentucky. Part 2 is from Louisville to New Orleans. As long as I have good music, and I’m not tired. I can drive forever! To thank Josie for her help on this trip. I agreed to walk horses for her in the Morning. I enjoyed it. I had good exercise, and had the chance to work with the horses again. After the first week. Josie's assistant trainer Diane. Handed me a check for $200. I asked what was happening. Diane explained that Josie felt I was doing a good days work and deserved to be paid. I was ecstatic! Being paid and free accommodations for 2 weeks. That is a budget traveler dream come true. New Orleans is a very exciting city to visit. Lots to see and do. Lots of great food. I was very fortunate to visit this classic American city. Before the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. Sadly my Dad suffered a very serious stroke. Two weeks after I returned home from this trip. He survived. However it left him in very bad shape. It paralyzed him on his right side. Taking away his ability to walk. I would like to thank Radar G. for making this great trip possibule, and for Russell for being an excllent guide, after I arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment