Sunday, February 12, 2017

The White Sands of New Mexico







Another wonderful day of my journey through New Mexico. I got to visit another fantastic place today. The "White Sands National Monument" which is located 12 west of the city of Alamogordo.

My day started out with me leaving the city of El Paso, Texas. The weather has been outstanding on my holiday visiting the southwestern part of the U.S.A. However as I left El Paso. The weather conditions were beginning to deteriorate. Rain was in the forecast and high winds were predicted in the El Paso area. I set sail for the city of Las Cruces. Which is located about 30 miles north of El Paso. When I turned onto highway 10. I was in a battle against the wind. I had to concentrate at the wheel of my rented Rio. To keep the car on an straight path. Weeds and debris were being blown across the road. I made to Las Cruces in one piece. Everything was very quiet in Las Cruces. All the business were closed downtown. The weather still looked like it could started raining at any time. I realized at this point. The "White Sands National Monument" was located a lot closer to Alamogordo then Las Cruces. So I made the decision to go and visit the White Sands. I know on a adventure vacation like I enjoy! You have to stay aggressive. To try and make every minute of the vacation count. And see and do as much as possible.

Sure enough when I reached the eastern side of the mountains driving on highway 70. The weather conditions started to look better. The U.S. military has a large missile base located southwest of the White Sands. When the U.S. military conducts a missile test. It closes down highway 70 and the White Sands National Monument. Lucky for me I picked to visit the White Sands on a Sunday. Also Mother Nature was again trying hard to give me a wonderful experience visiting the White Sands! She succeeded! The temperature was in the 70's with a slight wind. And also the sun was trying very hard to break through the clouds. My visit to the "White Sands National Monument" proved to be an incredible experience. The peace and beauty of the White Sands is outstanding! Again visiting this wonderful place in the cooler temperatures is better way to enjoy the largest gypsum dunes in the world!

I have to give credit to "Booking.com" for helping me cancel the reservation in Las Cruces today. And helping me finds nice accommodations for today in Alamogordo and for this trip. Which has saved me time and money. Which is very appreciated by the Travel Wolfe!















No comments:

Post a Comment