Saturday, September 21, 2019

The Million Dollar Highway


Part of the fun of travel, for the Travel Wolfe. Is to enjoy adventure! This journey led me to the town of Durango. From there I would experience driving the "Million Dollar Highway" Colorado route 550. Through up and over the beautiful San Juan Mountain Range in Colorado. I believe one of the most scenic and unique drives certainly in North America and in the World.

This amazing drive is in 2 parts. The 37 miles part from Durango to Silverton. Then the 15 miles from Silverton to the town of Ouray. So I will present my photos of my amazing drive in 2 parts. I will also do a post of my experience visiting Silverton and Ouray. Plus a post dedicated to the old Steam Train that still ply it's trade. Transporting eager tourist. Giving them the chance to be transported back in time. Back into the history books. The chance to ride a Steam Locomotive from Durango to Silverton and back. On a journey through the San Juan Mountains.

The drive was both difficult and exciting.I did complete the drive the most scenic way. Driving north on the "Million Dollar Highway". You are totally amazed by the beautiful and scenic views that you are enjoying. However the road goes up and down, and there are lots of curving switchbacks as you go up or down in elevation. When you are driving northbound. You are driving in most places with no guardrails. Leaving the road for any reason could present disastrous consequences.I would not want to drive Colorado route 550 in darkness or in any sort of bad weather conditions.My great friend Mother Nature provided perfect weather conditions for my special drive to the scenic and unique town of Ouray!!! I now present my "Travel Wolfe" photos.

Part 1 Durango to Silverton




























No comments:

Post a Comment