Sunday, February 21, 2010

Always "Remember The Alamo"!!!!!













Today I had the chance to visit a very important historic place, located in the United States. It is "The Alamo". Which is located in the city of San Antonio. I must admit I am very impressed with the city of San Antonio. This beautiful city is one of the nicest American cities I have ever had the privilege to visit.

I checked into my accommodation in San Antonio. Which in this case is the Knight's Inn. I am also very happy with the place I will be calling my home in San Antonio.

The day was March the 6th, 1836. In the early morning of that day. The Mexican army commanded by Antonio López de Santa Anna, defeated and killed the defenders of "The Alamo". It is estimated that between 182 and 257 Texan soldiers were killed in the siege. Which lasted for 13 days.

Here is more information about the Alamo;

The Battle of the Alamo (February 23 – March 6, 1836) was a pivotal point in the Texas Revolution. Following a 13-day siege, Mexican troops under the president of Mexico General Antonio López de Santa Anna launched an assault on the Alamo Mission in San Antonio de Béxar (modern-day San Antonio, Texas). All but two of the Texan defenders were killed. Santa Anna's perceived cruelty during the battle inspired many Texans—both Texas settlers and adventurers from the United States—to join the Texan Army. Buoyed by a desire for revenge, the Texans defeated the Mexican Army at the Battle of San Jacinto, on April 21, 1836, ending the revolution.

There were two flags that flew from the Alamo during the 13 day siege. They were; the flag of the Texas Revolt, and a second flag that William B. Travis had flying from the highest point of the Alamo. It read "Victory or Death"

It was interesting for me to learn that in the group of the defenders of Texas. That fought and died in the Alamo. That they were made up of a multi American and multi international group. The one common bond. That brought them all to Texas. Was to try and establish, and live a much better life. A British man named Anthony Wolfe, from England died on March 6, 1836. It was surprising for me to see. My last name on the list of the hero's of Texas. I do know that there is no chance that Anthony Wolfe is any distant relation to me. Wolfe, spelled with an "e" at the end of Wolf, was the way the English used the surname. My father's family came from Romania and not England. My grandfather on my mother's side of the family did hail from London, England.

1 comment: