Tuesday, February 16, 2010

South Padre Island- Jewel of the Texas Gulf Coast









I woke up and had a good continental breakfast, at the Ramada. My hotel offered; fresh fruit, cereal, toast, coffee and juice, and fresh cooked waffles.

The weather is still not where it should be at. But who cares, I'm on South Padre Island. The Jewel of the Texas Gulf Coast.

I'm defiantly a person who doesn't like change all that much. Just look at all the change that has happened during my lifetime to society. Is it overall for the best, for everyone? My answer is no. Too much change, to quickly is not really that beneficial. This comment is really for another blog, and another time. The reason I brought this up, is. Why would you want to bring all the amenities of civilization to a beautiful and natural place of beauty like South Padre Island?

I am satisfied and happy with the way the situation has been dealt with. South Padre Island is a thriving tourist community. Yes it has all of the modern amenities of modern life. But this community only covers about 4 square miles of the entire Padre Island area. The fact is that most of the largest barrier island in the world remains the way nature intended it to be, beautiful, natural and free.

So you have the option of enjoying the island from the town of South Padre Island, or you can go camping on the beach in the northern part of the island, in the state park. I like that both options are available.

My day today was just relaxing and exploring the town of South Padre Island on my mountain bike. The Island community is located on the southern part of the south island. In this town there are; souvenir shops galore, fast food restaurants of all description, and an assortments of restaurants serving all kind of cuisine. Also a city hall, police station and post office. Can all so be easily found on the main drag of this vacation paradise.

I rode my bike to the beach from the Ramada Hotel, which is not a very long ride. I then rode the beach along hotel and condo row to the southern tip of Padre Island. During that ride I briefly talked to a man using a mental detector. I asked him, if he was successful in finding any valuable items on the beach? He said he has found valuable rings, jewelery, and men's watches. Then I rode down main street of the town. Which is called Padre Boulevard.I talked to an interesting man who was using a mental detector on the Beach. e for lunch at dairy Queen, and had a grilled chicken salad for lunch.

I then rode down and picked up the stamps for the post cards I'm sending home. Then it was one more ride, north on the beach, to the end of civilization. During that time and walked and talked with a very friendly couple from the U.S. state of Iowa.

I'm looking forward to living another day in Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment