Monday, February 15, 2010

Good Texas Eats!!!!!!


Anybody that knows me at all. Learns very quickly how important eating good food is to me. Also it is a fun part of travel. To try and seek out; new, exciting, and nutritious eating experiences.

During this posting I will also talk about some bad eating experiences.

B & J Pizza6335 South Padre Island Drive, Corpus Christi. I tried it for dinner after my Ocean Dr. bike ride. The atmosphere was causal, which is good. The staff very friendly, good! Great selection of beer, good! I just have had a lot better pizza, during my travels.

Rudy's Country Store & Bar-BQ‎
6101 South Padre Island Drive, Corpus Christi. Barbecue restaurants and the cuisine they offer are part of the Texas expedience, and should be enjoyed. As long as you enjoy to eat meat. I enjoyed eating at Rudy's twice. It is very causal. The staff is friendly. I tried chicken the first time. It was good. The second time was even better. I tried there barbecue beef. It was excellent meal. As I smothered the beef in there slightly spicy barbecue sauce. They offer a lot of choices for side dishes. In both meals. I enjoyed coleslaw, baked beans, and corn on the cob. I can't forget eating my veggies. They sell the meat by the 1/2 pound. If the portion of meat is over 1/2 pound, they charge you more.

Taqueria San Juan Address:‎
410 Cut-Off Road
Port Aransas, TX 78373-4221
This Mexican restaurant served one of the best meals that I enjoyed on my holiday. I enjoyed a very nice plate of shrimp and steak Fajitas, and all of the trimmings. I also enjoyed a nice frozen fruit treat from Mexico for desert. The meal was less then $10.

Dairy Queen is very popular here in "The Lone Star State". For good reason. This old time fast food chain. Which is as old as McDonald's. Dairy Queen began it's life in 1940, in Joliet, IL. They serve one of the best fast food hamburger from a franchise restaurant. That you will get. On now for the month of February. They have a special. For $5 you will receive 1 Hunger Buster (which is equivalent to a McDonald's quarter pounder, or Burger King Whopper), 1 regular order of french fries, 1 large soft drink, and a small blizzard(choice of flavor). You will not get a better deal, or meal at a franchise burger place, anywhere!

KFC, which stands for "Kentucky Fried Chicken". This fast food establishment has also a very interesting and famous history. It all began in very humble beginning as founder Harland Sanders originated a recipe of 11 herbs and spices to create the ultimate taste in home cooked fried chicken, in 1930. Colonel Harland Sanders sold his established franchises of Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants for 2 million dollars in 1964. The company has been sold 3 times since that time for multi-million of dollars. But I can't understand why. The last time I tried there food back home in Canada. I swore it would be the last time. During this trip I watched a documentary on the history of Kentucky Fried Chicken. When I arrived today on South Padre Island. As I was driving to my hotel. Sure enough I passed by a KFC location. After I checked in. I thought I would give it one more try, for lunch. I ordered the grilled chicken. To see if it is any better then the fried product. The entire meal was bad. The portions were small, the prices high, and the grilled chicken is the same as the fried. The chicken tastes terrible!!!! I sure Harland Sanders would be quite upset. If he was alive today, and had the chance to taste and see what they have done to his famous chicken recipe.

Blackbeard's Restaurant
103 East Saturn Lane
South Padre Island, TX 78597
The excellent meal that I enjoyed tonight at this eatery. More then made up for the lousy meal, I endured at KFC. Lucky for me. This excellent restaurant is located just a 5 minute walk from my Ramada hotel. Monday night at Blackbeard's is steak night. I was also treated to, and waited on by a very nice lady named Hedi. I went with the steak special. At Blackbeard's they marinate there steaks in Bourbon. Doing that gets the beef drunk and relaxed, and brings it to peak flavor to be enjoyed. Yes it was a great eating experience. Also served with the meal was a huge, yes a huge onion ring, Idaho baked potato, and Texas toast. I enjoyed the baked potato the "Sir" way. As in Sidney Poitier, from the movie "To Sir With Love". Sir enjoyed his baked potato with: grated cheese, sour cream, and bacon. Well you know what. I did the same, and It is great!!!! Thank you Blackbeard's, and thank you Hedi!!!! I will be back!!!!!!!!!!! This great meal was less then $15.

Uchi Japanese Restaurant 410 Padre Blvd Ste 0, South Padre Island
For my final dinner staying on South Padre Island. I felt like enjoying a very nice oriental meal. The restaurant that provided that for me, was "Uchi". I went early before the dinner rush, and was greeted by a very nice young lady named "Brie". The meal and service were both excellent. I enjoyed a cup of Miso soup, nice salad, and the main course of orange chicken and vegetables with lightly fried rice. I will always have very fond memories of this meal.

Danny's
4420 San Bernardo Laredo, TX 78041-2506
This restaurant was my favorite place to eat in the city of Laredo. It was very comparable to Denny's. The only different was a complete menu of Mexican food. Plus way better quality. I enjoyed having breakfast there. For $3.99 you could enjoy a huge omelette, hash brown potatoes, and toast. It was a great way to start your day!

Tong's Thai
1146 Austin Hwy, San Antonio, TX 78209
I will always enjoy a very good oriental meal. When it comes my way. I tried there Pad Thai, it was served very well and tasted great. The prices were not bad for Thai food either.

Chris Madrid's
1900 Blanco Road, San Antonio, Tx
This eatery was touted to be the best burger place in San Antonio. So I was expecting a lot. Well it did not come close to Hodad's in San Diego. On my burger ratings it only scored a 6.5 out of 10. If I ever make it back to "The Alamo City" I will keep trying to find the best burger in San Antonio.

The Capital Building
201 E. 14th St.
Austin, Texas
I went on the tour of this impressive and historic building twice. I also ate at the cafeteria twice. Great food and great prices. That is always fun to find. Also the restaurant has a nice atmosphere. I highly recommend "The Capital Building" cafeteria for a great lunch when visiting Austin.

Fredericksburg Brewing Company
245 East Main Street
Fredericksburg, TX 78624
On the drive coming back from our visit to "Enchanted Rock" state park. Mike and I decided to enjoy a meal and refreshing beverage to help to celebrate the day, and our successful hike. Our choice was in the town of Fredericksburg Texas. Our choice was the "Brewing Company". Mike enjoyed a steak dinner. I tried there pizza, and a homemade pretzel. However the delight of this meal was in fact the beverages that we enjoyed. There beer which is brewed on the premises is very high quality. Also there beer is very high in aroma and taste. The beer served in this restaurant is world class!

1 comment: