Friday, October 8, 2010

The Long Trail established 1910











Today was another great day on my Vermont adventure #5. The sun was shinning over the "Green Mountains". That is a great way to start the day for sure. I headed off to Rochester down the road for breakfast. I hit the bakery/bookstore for breakfast.

I was not disappointed as I enjoyed a great breakfast. I had a nice veggie omelette with a piece of toasted homemade bread. For desert I enjoyed a homemade muffin, and washed it all down with two cups of terrific coffee. The young lady who served me was also very nice. I was now ready for my day's activities.

The first part of the day was hiking on the Green Mountains. Which is one of the special pleasures, when you are living in the is great place. I drove up route 125. Which is very close to "The Gathering Inn". I drove up to first visit "Texas Falls". It was easy driving access to get up to see the falls. I snapped a few pictures of the Falls. Then I continued west on route 125 until I came to the famous "Long Trail". I parked the car, and was ready to go for a hike.

This the 100 anniversary of the Long Trail. Being on the Green Mountains and hiking the Long Trail is truly a special enjoyable pleasure.

The famous Vermont "Long Trail" is the oldest long distance hiking trail in the U.S.A. It was established by the Green Mountain Club in 1910. The Long Trail travels 270 miles from Vermont's boarder with Canada, until the trail reaches the boarder with Massachusetts. Some 270 miles of pristine natural wonder. That travels over all of the major peaks of "The Green Mountains"

For my hike I headed south on "The Long Trail". I traveled for about 2.5 miles. Until I reached one of the tops of the mountains. I then pulled out my trusty mini alcohol burning stove. Boiled up some hot water, and made a cup of hot chicken broth. I then made my way back down the trail, until I reached route 125 and my car. I did take some amazing pictures of my adventure.

I then drove back to "Gathering Place". Enjoyed a nice bagel with Cabot Cheddar Cheese. Then I was ready for my bike ride. I rode my bike north on route 100 until I reached "Moss Glen Falls". I took a couple of pictures of the Falls. Then I road back to "Gathering Place". To come up with the words for this blog.

"Trying to Reason, with living in the Rat Race". Maybe I have an idea for a hit song. Maybe not. Maybe I should just stick to what I know. How to travel and enjoy. Amazing travel destinations, like Vermont!

The bike ride to Glen Moss Falls and back was about 14 miles. Not a bad day burning calories and enjoying "The Green Mountain State at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. "Trying to reason with living in the Rat Race,
    'Tis the season for slowing down the fast pace,
    I escaped to a natural place,
    Wondering why I should go back to the Rat Race"

    ReplyDelete