Saturday, January 17, 2015

All That Remains of History

A photo of a model of the "Circus Maximus" you can easily see the obelisks used as the dividing barriers for the track. In it's prime. The Circus Maximus had seating for 250,000 horse racing fans.

Part of my history is. That I worked 13 years for my mom and dad at Woodbine Racetrack. Located in Toronto. My father Sheldon enjoyed a 30 year career as a professional Thoroughbred Horse Trainer. My dad was born a talented athlete. He came to love the sport of horse racing.

I now find myself during this vacation the chance to pay homage to the history of horse racing. As the remains of the "Circus Maximus" can still be seen in Rome today. It is located in a valley between the Aventine and Palatine Hills. The Circus Maximus was the oldest and largest of the Roman Empire's race tracks. It was originally built in the 6th century BC. No trace of the great circus remains in public view. Except for two of the obelisks that were used for decorative dividing barriers used at the track. I went to visit the "Obelisk Flaminio". Which still can been seen in Rome. It is located in the center of the Piazza del Popolo. I included some pictures of the Obelisk. The photo of I touching the Obelisk Flaminio was taken by a young lady. Who did some great work taking the picture for me. Thanks for her great work!

Here is some history on the "Obelisk Flaminio". Ever since its quarrying, long before Rome existed, the obelisk had been sacred to Egyptian Sun-gods.] Augustus brought it from Heliopolis at enormous expense, and erected midway along the dividing barrier. It was the first obelisk brought to Rome, an exotically sacred object and a permanent reminder of Augustus' victory over his Roman foes and their Egyptian allies in the recent civil wars. Thanks to him, Rome had secured both a lasting peace and a new Egyptian Province. 







The Obelisk Flaminio can be found in the Piazza del Popolo located by walking to the end of the Via Coriso.

No comments:

Post a Comment