Friday, January 2, 2015

What Living Is To "The Travel Wolfe"





Time to celebrate again! I'm on vacation time!!! The chance to fly away from it all. To enjoy life in an exotic new location. This coming Tuesday January 6. I will fly to Amsterdam. Then travel by train to the town of "Best". To meet up with long time friend and fellow traveler Peter V/D W! Peter and I have been great friends since we met in the youth hostel located in St. Moritz, Switzerland back in 1986.
I will visit with Peter and his sisters families until January 13. On that day. I fly to visit the "Eternal City" of Rome for 1 week. Then on January 21 begins the final leg of this magical adventure. As I will fly from Rome to Palermo Sicily for 8 days of exploring the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea.

There are some famous people and one famous place that have inspired me. To keep me pointed in the right direction through the journey of my life.

Mark Twain who was a famous American Writer. Also was a person who just loved to get out there and visit and enjoy this big planet Earth. That we get to call our home. Mark Twain has written many books on his adventures traveling around the world. One of the more well know and popular books is "Following The Equator" which was published in 1897. Inside this great book. Mark wrote the inscription "Be Good And You Will Be Lonesome". Being good and lonesome has worked well for the "Travel Wolfe" and has given me the means to get out there and enjoy life my way. Thank you Mr. Twain!!!

Jimmy Buffett who has been a source of entertainment and guidance for the me. Through his well written folk songs from his early days. Has helped a great deal to inspire me to travel! Jimmy has also directed the "Travel Wolfe" to some fantastic travel destinations. The great Mark Twain was also a mentor for Jimmy Buffett to travel. Jimmy wrote his song "What Living is To Me" to honor the memory and say thanks to Mark Twain! Here is the link on Youtube for this cleaver Jimmy Buffett tune.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfWSdUuyGY

Anne Frank was famous for being killed during the Holocaust in World War 2. Ann's diary that is know over the world. Describes how her family was hidden for 3 years from the Nazis in Amsterdam. By a very brave Dutch family. Ann Frank became the symbol for all of the innocent people who lives were stuffed out. Before they had the chance to enjoy and live their lives.I did visit the "Ann Frank House" in 1988 during my first visit to Amsterdam. It was very heart felt to actually be in the place where the Frank Family tried to survive World War 2. You will quickly learn from reading Ann's diary. That Ann wanted to live and enjoy life very much. Sadly she never had the chance to do so. Ann's only crime was being born Jewish, during a horrific time in the history of mankind. Sadly Ann Frank died in Bergen-Belson concentration camp. She was only 15 years young. Ann Frank has become a lasting inspiration for the me. To keep enjoying the gift of life.

The Matterhorn. This world famous mountain located in Swiss Alps. Has been a strong source of inspiration. After this magnificent mountain and I became very well acquainted on a beautiful August day, back in 1986. I spent a good part of that memorable day hiking up the Matterhorn! On that day. The Matterhorn gave to me a everlasting impression. On what freedom and the pure enjoyment of life are all about! The top photo is from my travel archives from that glorious day.

So many great things have been enjoyed during my adventures. I met so many amazing people. A few of these amazing people. Have become great friends. All of the places of; beauty, history, and of interest that I have had the pleasure to enjoy!. It is all out there waiting to be discovered and lived! Creating more wonderful memories is the plan. This is what living is. To the "Travel Wolfe"
                                          The Man from "Margaritaville" Jimmy Buffett
                                                                   Ann Frank
Sail away!!! That's the way I've survived!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment