Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Ancient Greek Theater of Taormina




Today the final full day of my winter trip to Europe 2015. I was planing to go and visit the town of "Savoca" where the Godfather movies were made. However the bus connection to get there was a concern, and again the weather turned rainy and cold. So I scraped that idea.
I finished my stay to Taormina with a visit to a visit to Ancient Greek Theater. This historic theater that was originally designed and built by the Greeks in the 7th century BC. But later rebuilt by the Roman Empire. Is one of the best existing historic sites located in Sicily. Sadly most of the original stone bench seating has been replaced by modern seating. Which does hurt the appearance of this brilliant piece of history. Hoping that a proper restoration job will be completed in the future.
The major appeal of this ancient theater is it's location in Taormina. When you are seated in the ancient theater. All the spectators get a beautiful view of the Ionian coastline and also a beautiful view of Mt. Etna. Sadly again it was a rainy, cool and cloudy day here in Taormina. So no fantastic view of Mt. Etna was possible. I did take some photos of my experience visiting this ancient place. I will have fond memories of being there!


















video posted on You Tube-  http://travelwolfe.blogspot.it/2015/01/the-ancient-greek-theater-of-taormina.html

No comments:

Post a Comment