Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Amsterdam!

Today was my day to enjoy Amsterdam. This great city is one of the reasons for enjoying a holiday in the Netherlands. I honestly never get tired of visiting Amsterdam. The atmosphere of the city is electric. It is full of life and energy. There is always things to keep a visitor happy and asking for more.

My day was spent exploring Amsterdam on foot. On arrival, I bolted from the Central Train Station, just like a thoroughbred racehorse leaving the starting gate. I moved right through the shopping area. Once I reached the first canal. Then you realize that you are in a totally different place. The best nickname for Amsterdam is "The Venice of the North". The very extensive canal system that Amsterdam processes, and all the old historic homes and buildings, help to transfer the visitors and the inhabitants to a totally different world. Very far away from the modern world.

In the old downtown area, there are many more bikes on the streets and roads with cars. A fitting reminder. What a popular mode of transit riding a bike is, in this country. My only disappointment of the day came early. After I started my walk. Nature started to let me know, that I would have to use the gentleman's room soon. I passed by two McDonald's' restaurants. I thought to myself. I can go into a McDonald's' anytime. When I'm in Amsterdam. I have to avoid McDonald's, and choose to stop to use the Gentleman's room, and stop for a coffee at a traditional Amsterdam pub. It sounds like a good idea, doesn't it? Well all good ideas, don't always turn out well.

I ordered a coffee when I walked into the bar. The coffee was sitting on counter when I came back from using the washroom. Before I left I asked to pay for the coffee. The waitress laid the shocking news, that the coffee was going to cost me, 3.50€. This price is ridiculous. The exchange into Canadian money is $5.53. For that money I could have enjoyed a grande specialty coffee at Star Bucks. The attitude of the bar, I went into was insulting. To say the least. Unfortunately these things will happen during a trip. They are unavoidable, and you should not let an incident like that spoil you day. Just laugh it off, and never go back to that place.

I took a lot of pictures and shot a lot of video. I hope I can bring back the true flavor and atmosphere of this great city with me. I enjoyed the shopping. I found a very interesting flea market, located at Waterloo Square. Apparently it happens everyday in Amsterdam. I found a very nice used Kenwood Mini Disc player for sale for 35€. This was a very good price for this rare digital audio player. To my disappointment I couldn't bring it home. Because of the fact that Europe electronics run on 230 volts, compared to 110 in North America. Some appliances have the feature of being convertible, and therefore can easily be used in both continents. But sadly this mini disc player didn't have this feature.

I did purchase a couple of rare vinyl Lp's for cheap money. I finally took a well needed break, and found an excellent place to have a rest and enjoy a fabulous falafel. This falafel was the second best falafel I have enjoyed in my life. The best was eaten during my 1991 trip. It was enjoyed in Greenwich Village, in New York City. After I got my second wind. I walked back to the Central Train Station, and made the 17:07 train back to Best. I have to get ready for my final full day, of my visit to the Low countries.

2 comments:

  1. Not one shot from Amsterdam!!! How were the brothels? If you can afford $5 for coffee why not get some hookers!

    Good luck finding me a mug, ANY *NEW* airline mug will do!!!

    ReplyDelete