Saturday, February 14, 2009

One of my favorite cities, Masstricht!




Today we are going to visit one of my favorite cities. That I have had the pleasure of visiting during my travels. It is the city of Masstricht. Which is the capital of the Dutch province of Limburg. It is currently just after 8:30, and Peter and I are having a quick breakfast as we are getting ready to leave. We are also going with Peter's friend Frans. We stoped off during our journey to Maastricht to pick Frans up. We enjoyed coffee and a snack at Frans place before we headed off to Maastricht.

We arrived in Maastricht, and the first order of business was to enjoy "vlaai". This is traditional Limburg cake. When I was there, back in 2006. Peter and enjoyed a piece of apple vlaai. This time we enjoyed a piece of cherry vlaai. Served with a hot cappuccino, it is a very satisfying eating experience.

The next order of business was to find Andre Rieu's home. For anybody that doesn't know. Andre Rieu is a famous and highly successful musician, and concert violinist. Andre is a native son to the city of Masstricht. He is famous for his live performances of classical music, that are a pleasure and enjoyable experience. I had the treat of taking my mother to see one of his shows in December 2007, during one of his Toronto shows. It was a great experience.

During the 2006 trip, Peter and I came up empty. We were unable to find the Rieu home. We were close but unsuccessful. My mother who is a huge fan of Andre Rieu. Was disappointed that we didn't find the home, after all he lives in a Castle. How difficult can it be to find a Castle. This time it was a different story. With the help of Frans, and the Internet. We went with the proper information to find the home. Which actually walked right by the Rieu estate. But some local people were helpful, and quick to correct us. I am bringing home some excellent pictures of the Rieu Castle, as a souvenir if this trip.

We enjoyed a walking tour of Mastricht. This classic European city offers a very nice and relaxed atmosphere. The Maas River divides this city of 120,000 inhabitants. It is the oldest city in the Netherlands. It defiantly worth a visit during a trip to Holland.

Peter, Frans and I enjoyed a very good lunch during our visit to Masstricht. We ate at the Cafe''T Pothiske. The highlight for the meal for my was the soup. I enjoyed a delicious bowl of French Onion soup. It was damp and cold day in Masstricht. So this fantastic soup, went down very well. Also eating at the restaurant was a first for me. It was my second visit to this eatery. Peter and I had enjoyed vlaai and cappuccino, during our visit there in 2006.

We had a leisurely drive home, first to drop Frans off at his home, and then Peter our way back to Best.

No comments:

Post a Comment