Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lure Of The Silver Ball!




Today was another eventful day in London. I finally made it to see the Imperial war Museum. It is a very impressive museum for sure. The museum has examples of everything that has to do with human conflict. To bad this museum even exists. But anger and hate are human traits, that just won't go away.

The displays of note in the museum. Where a life size replica of "Little Boy", which was the first atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima, on August 6, 1945. Also there is a fine example of the Nazi German V2 ballistic missile. This weapon is of very important significance. It is the second missile used in war. It caused a lot of damage, as the Nazi used this horrific weapon as a last ditched weapon to try and win World War 2. The very scary thought is. If the Nazi's would have developed atomic weapons first. I surly would not be sitting here now, writing this blog.

The museum also had an powerful display on the "Holocaust". The history of the Holocaust during WW 2 may very well be the worse human tragedy in the history of this planet. There was a shocking and sad display of people who created paintings from there experience in the Holocaust. At this display there was a place where people moved from the display could post and leave a message. My message read. "Forgetting what happened, could allow history to repeat. Never Forget!"

The day quickly went from a sober atmosphere back to full holiday mode. It had been arranged that I meet with Gary Flower. He co-authored a book entitled "Lure Of The Silver Ball". Now, anybody that really knows me, knows that I will always be, a kid at heart. No matter how old this body of mine gets. I grew up playing and loving to play pinball, as a kid. That love has never stopped.

Through Mike H. I had a chance to meet with Gary, as Mike and him are very good friends. So At two PM, I meet up with Gary at the Notthing Hill Gate Station. I was a little late and confused, where I was to meet Gary. But I finally realized my mistake, and meet with him. Gary treated me to a fantastic cup of hot chocolate, and a pastry, and discussed the love of Pinball, and visiting this great city. I enjoyed meeting him. I had brought along my copy of the book, so Gary could autograph it for me. He was happy to do so. So my copy has both of the authors signatures. Which Gary said is rare.

The evening was also a positive enjoyment. I went to see my first play of the trip. It was the production of Carousel. Both the music, acting and singing were outstanding. Going to see these great shows is a must to do, while you are visiting London. They are world class quality and are very affordable. Which you will find is rare during your visit to London.

No comments:

Post a Comment