Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Day In Brugge!





Had a good night sleep at the hostel. Time to get out and see this amazing city. First enjoyed the very best Hostel breakfast ever. Yes the Point Loma hostel, located in San Diego served all you could eat pancakes for breakfast. That was really nice. This is the first hostel to offer you all the meat and cheese you could enjoy for your breakfast. Yes the people had all the usually there for a hostel breakfast; cereal, bread, peanut butter, juice, butter, chocolate sprinkles, and coffee and tea for your beverage. Also available was nice cheese, and a salami style meat. I enjoyed a very nice meat and cheese sandwich for my breakfast today. A healthy and nutritious breakfast is always a great way to start your day.

I enjoyed more of the same, for my Brugge visit. Just walked around and enjoyed the flavor and atmosphere of this very attractive place to be. I tried to do some shopping, here in Brugge. It is a real challenge for me here. Because of the fact that the Canadian dollar doesn't have very good value, here in Europe. Also is the fact that I have become an astute used goods shopper. I am really become out of my element. When I am shopping in a new goods retail store.

In searching around Brugge. I finally found a very good used goods store. They seemed to have some very nice items for sale. I made a good find searching around in the store. I found a pair of high quality German made Lowa Hiking Boots. The store had a 30 € price tag on them. Would they fit me? Close but no cigar. I believe they are a North American size 9, and a perfect fit for me would have been a 9 1/2 size. These high quality gore-tex boots would have been a steal at the 30€ price, which is almost 50 Canadian dollars. However I couldn't buy them, if they weren't a perfect fit.

It has been e very good food day for me. I started with the excellent breakfast from the hostel. Before lunch I set out on a free for all walking tour of Brugge. Believe me, when I say. It is a real pleasure to be in this town. It is one of those rare urban environments. That just makes you feel great, when you are there. I wondered around for about an hour, before my body starting screaming for nourishment. Well I didn't disappoint my body. I found a pub restaurant on the outskirts of Brugge. You can easily tell that you are in Brugge, because the city is almost completely surrounded by a canal system.

The meal was superb, it consisted of a Flemish dish. The meal was boneless chicken breast, that had been split and stuffed with a piece of ham. Then the chicken was sauteed and cooked to perfection. Then the chicken was served on a bed of mashed potatoes and other vegetables. That were mixed together, that gave the mixture a green color. The whole meal was excellent, and only set me back 8.50 Euros. I washed this great meal down with a fabulous Belgium Beer. In Canada, drinking beer is just a favorite cult way of getting drunk on a Friday, or summer time night. Well here in Belgium, drinking beer is a real special experience. It is like drinking wine in France. It is part of the cultures of those two great countries. It should be enjoyed when you are visiting here. It is a pleasure, an experience that shouldn't be ignored.

For my dinner. I was in the mood to cook. I am considering doing a cookbook for budget travelers. It is important to eat well during a holiday. Sometimes it is better, and it will also save you money to do it yourself. Here is what I made, it was simple and delicious. I call it Steak Ala Brugge. The piece of steak was nice and I sauteed it, in a broth of soy sauce, ketchup, and some water. I used some margarine because there was no cooking oil. I purchase some fresh stir fry veggies, and in they went to the mix. The meal was a big success. The cost of this tasty and nutritious meal, with soft drink included was 7.36 Euros. The cost of this meal in a local Brugge restaurant, over 20 Euros.

I ended my day finishing the posting on this blog. Also I met another very nice fellow Canadian tonight, at the hostel, her name is Fiona. It was excellent talking with you tonight Fiona. Wishing you happy traveling.





2 comments:

  1. "A healthy and nutritious breakfast is always a great way to start your day"

    WTF Donny you sound like your working for Kellogs!

    Your eating well I see....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said I should always be myself, don't change your mind, now. You also enjoy a hearty Breakfast!

    D.W.

    ReplyDelete