Monday, January 23, 2012

Explore Bridgetown





















I have made it to the second last day of this adventure. The last 2 days will be spent in two places. My favorite beach in the morning. Then I will sail down to the Barbados capital, by bus. To enjoy the sights and sounds of Bridgetown. And to spend some time in the Barbados Sun!

My plans did not take any skids. Then went perfectly. The day was enjoyed!
After a filling breakfast. I went to visit Settler's Beach. Every experience has been enjoy to the max. On my favorite stretch of sand. Located on the west coast of Barbados. I also met again. The friendly fellow traveler from Montreal. After enjoying some friendly conversation with Rosaire. It was time to take the plunge back into the Caribbean Sea!

When I was finished with the beach. I headed south back to Fitts Village for my lunch. Fitts Village offers washrooms and a outdoor freshwater shower. So I took advantage of that and washed all the salt off of me and my cloths. I have been wearing synthetic shirts and shorts during this trip. Which dry quickly in 85 degree weather, and being out in the Bajan Sun.

There is a good restaurant located in the Jordan's Supermarket plaza. Again the food was very good and cheap. I enjoyed; a piece of roasted chicken, rice, mixed vegetables, and salad. The cost $16 BD or $8 U.S.D. Then is was down to Bridgetown!

My walking tour was very good and enjoyed. I wish I could of been on a guided walking tour. I tried to make that happen. But no luck arranging that. I walked through the very busy shopping district. I enjoyed some soft served soy ice-cream. I had banana ripple flavor and it was very good!

Then I found the historic Parliament building. There is a museum located there. But I opted to do the museum tomorrow. Also I hope to pay my respects to my Jewish Heritage. There is a historic synagogue that is worth visiting. That is located in downtown Bridgetown.

My tour lead me into Queens Park. Which is spacious and well decorated with all types of rare and exotic trees. The prized tree located in the park. Is the Baobab Tree which is over 1000 years old. This species is native to Africa. It is believed that a seed floated through the ocean to finally wash up onto Barbados. Where the tree has lived and enjoyed it's life living on this exotic island. This tree is 90 feet high, and has a width of over 80 feet. The fruit that this tree produces and is very high in antioxidants and vitamin C. No wonder this tree is called to "The Tree of Life".

From there I made it to Independence Square. Where I took more time to relax, and to reflex on what a great vacation I have enjoyed visiting Barbados. Located in this square is a great statue of Errol Barrow. The late and great leader of Barbados. Who gained full independence for Barbados from England in 1966. Sadly great statesmen and leaders are just a part of history now. The leaders of today are more interested in reaching celebrity status. And answering to and fulfilling the will of major corporations. Rather then trying to lead there fellow citizens into a better and more stable society.

I then walked across the historic swing bridge. Then along the boardwalk located along the little harbor in the downtown area. Then I meandered back to the main bus station. Then bused back to Fitts Village to get ready for my final day of this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment