Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Bajan Day At The Races!
















I am soon leaving for the racetrack. You read correct. Barbados has an still operates a racetrack named "The Garrison Savannah". There has been horse racing held at this track from approximately 1845.
I also get to see and visit our old friend "Bain". Who I haven't seen in about 15 years. Bain came from his home Barbados. To work for my father. While his training career was still active at Woodbine in Toronto.
This will be only the second time I have enjoyed the races outside of Canada or the United States. The first time was during my trip to France during my summer trip in 2000. That was a special day at the races. As I picked a horse named La Force. Who ran a great race to win at odds of 17 to 1.

The day went very and was enjoyed. Bain was a little late arriving at the track. So it caused me to miss the first race. I missed betting the daily double. But that was O.K. As the 3, 6 combination was nowhere to be found.

The only disappointment on the day. Was the admission cost to get in. The Barbados Turf Club which operates the "Garrison Savannah". Charges a $7.50 U.S. admission fee. If you would like to watch the races from the Club House. They charge you $15. The cost of the program/racing from. Costs you $5 U.S. There program doesn't give you that much information to go on. Compared to the daily racing form that is the standard in North America.

The Garrison Savannah is a delight. To watch the horses race. This track presents a very intimate chance to enjoy the sport of kings. It makes me remember all the fun days I enjoyed working and enjoying the races at Greenwood Racetrack in Toronto. That is now just a part of Toronto history.

I didn't make any money on the day. But I did enjoy one winning wager. That was on race 7. I picked and bet a $2 Forecast box. In Barbados. There refer to and "Exator or Perfecta as a "Forecast". I picked and boxed 2, 6, 9. A box is a betting slang for combining 3 horses running in a race. Any combination of 2 of the 3 horses selected, finishing first or second, in any combination will give you a winning bet. I had this race figured out perfect. The favorite number 6 won the race. Number 9 at 9 to 1 odds finished second, and number 2 finished a close third. I thought that the 6 X 9 combination would pay $30 or $40 giving me a profit for the day. However to my disappointment. The winning Forecast payment was only $20.

My days activities were not over yet. After a short rest back at the Guest-house. My host Winston and fellow guest Heather. Went out to enjoy a Celebration for Errol Barrow Day! Mr. Errol Barrow was a famous former Prime Minister of Barbados. Mr. Barrow was responsible for gaining statehood for Barbados, in 1964 from England. Among doing a lot of other great deeds. To try and make Barbados a great place to call home. Sadly these great political leaders of our past. In just part of history now. A history that won't be repeated any time soon.

The food was good at the celebration. I enjoyed fresh Marlin on a bun, served with salad and fries. My beverage was a bottle of Banks beer. The beer of Barbados since 1956. Many local music stars performed at this free show. To celebrate the life and contributions of Mr. Errol Barrow.

1 comment: