Thursday, January 26, 2012

My 5 Favorite Cities

Bath, England
Burlington, Vermont
Lucerne, Switzerland
Portland, Oregon
York, England As you can probably tell by now. I enjoy to remember and reminisce. About all of the great places I have enjoyed to visit, during my travels. This is almost as good as thinking about and enjoying the great places. I will still visit in my future. This post is dedicated to my personal favorite 5 cities. That have been a part of my adventurous life. Through my travel experiences. I have rated these cities based on; physical beauty, personality, charisma, and livability. I will list the cities in alphabetical order. So there will be no preference. All of these cites are excellent places to visit, and also to live life. Before I begin. The number 5 is really too small a number for this post. As I will be forced to leave out great cities like; Valletta, Malta, Bruges, Belgium, St. Mallo, France, Geneva, Switzerland, Amsterdam, The Hague, and Maastridt located in the Netherlands. But nothing in life is usually very easy. When it comes to completing a task. So here go's. I now present to the people who enjoy and love to travel. My five all time favorite cities. 1. Bath, United Kingdom A visit to this classic and historic city was a part of my tour of England in 1998. I can remember quite visibly of getting off of the train. Walking out of the train station and just standing there, frozen in time. Not believing what my eyes were now viewing. I had to pinch myself. To make sure I was not a part of some elaborate dream. It was not a dream! I had been delivered back into British history. To explore and enjoy a city full of splendid architecture and charm. That is truly unparalleled on our planet. Bath was made a city in the year 1590 by the reigning monarch Queen Elizabeth 1. The city of Bath, England is located 97 from London. The city of Bath was made a world heritage site in 1987. The city gets it's name from the Roman Bath that is still located in the city. The "Bath" is the only natural hot springs that is found in the United Kingdom. I had a great time. Exploring the endless history and historic buildings that make the city of Bath so special. Also the Avon river runs through Bath, and the city features beautiful green landscapes in and surrounding Bath. Most of the buildings located in the city of Bath are made of a honey colored Bath Stone. Which adds to the visual beauty of this amazing city. The city of Bath. should be on your itinerary when you are visiting the United Kingdom. It is one of the great cities located on our planet. 2. Burlington, Vermont U.S.A. I could not complete this post without involving "The Green Mountain State" of Vermont. I have enjoyed a lot of happy time. Visiting and living in this great place. So there only major city has to be added to the greatest and most beautiful cities. I have ever had the pleasure to visit. The city of Burlington, Vermont only has a population of 42,000 people. However the greater Burlington area comes in at 208,000 people. Making it roughly 1/3 of Vermont's total population. I have visited this beautiful and dynamic city on all of my 6 trips to Vermont. Since I began traveling to the Green Mountain State in the fall of 2007. The city of Burlington is located on the east shore of Lake Champlain. This is one of the major contributors for making this city so special. For Lake Champlain is one of the most picturesque lakes located in North America. The great vistas Lake Champlain provides and the Adirondack Mountains off in the distance. Will always put your mind at ease. Also Burlington offers a very nice pedestrian only. European style shopping district. A lot of choice for eating and shopping can be found in downtown Burlington. Also "City Market" is located in downtown Burlington. Which is the best organic supermarket I have ever shopped in. Biking is one of my favorite outdoor activities. Which is a true pleasure in Burlington. As the "Burlington Bike Way" hugs the shores of Lake Champlain for miles. This will truly make you feel happy. That you are located in the State of Vermont, and nowhere else! 3. Lucerne, Switzerland During the year 1986. This year represented my first major escape into our world. The European country of Switzerland was my destination. This culturally diverse and beautifully scenic country. Will always be a very special part of my life. The city of Lucerne was my favorite city located in the Swiss Confederation. Lots of stiff competition here. As the cities of Geneva, Zürich, Basle, and Bern. Rate as some of the most impressive cities located in our world. However the city of Lucerne will always be my favorite city located within the country of Switzerland. The physical beauty of this city cannot be matched! As the city of Lucerne is located in the central part of Switzerland on the north shore of the Lake Lucerne. Two mountains stand vigil over this classic city. Mt. Pilatus to the west, and Mt. Rigi to the east. The Reuss River flows through the heart of Lucerne. Adding to the visual joy of being in this dream city. The city of Lucerne is full of all kind of historic treasure of all shapes and descriptions. The highlight and fitting symbol of the city. Is the 14th century chapel bridge. Which made a lasting great impression on me. The city of Lucerne has a population of 76,200. A visit to the city of Lucerne. The history, hospitality and beauty that is your constant companion. Will make your memories there memorable! 4. Portland, Oregon U.S.A. Great friends Christine and Allan. Gave me great advise! To travel to the Pacific Northwest region of North America. Remember the philosophy. Always follow great advise. When you are given it. Christine and Al. Told me "to visit Washington State and the state of Oregon, and I would love it there". I followed there great advise in 2009, and received my first taste of what the pacific northwest region has to offer. The trip was great! Also during that trip. I enjoyed my first taste of the "City of Roses" Portland, Oregon! I was blown away! For Portland is truly. The greenest city located in North America. And also offers lots of history and charisma! The symbols of this great city. Are the 8 bridges crossing the Willamette River. The two most famous and rarest of Portland's Bridges is the Hawthorne Bridge born in 1910. The Hawthorne Bridge is the oldest surviving vertical lift bridge in the United States. Also rare is the "Steel Bridge" created in 1913. Is the only double vertical lift bridge still in operation in the world. Also the beautiful green of Oregon. Is also a major part of there largest and most populated city. Portland is a safe and enjoyable city to stroll around or to bike. As Portland is also the most cyclist friendly city in North America. Another great advantage of being located in Portland. Is the fact that you are located very close the scenic and beautiful Columbia River Gorge and the beautiful ocean coast of Oregon. Also other great day trips around the state are not that far away! 5. York, United Kingdom My last part of this post is also a treasure. Located in our urban world. That honor goes to the medieval city of York. Which lies in the northeast part of England. I did enjoy the privilege of visiting this great city. Also during my 1998 trip to England. It also proved to be a very special experience during my time spent traveling. I still enjoy the great memory after arriving and receiving my directions on how to find my accommodation in York. "The Copper's Lodge". My walk would take me for 3 to 4 KM along the main street of York, which is named Fishergate. The farther I walked along Fishergate. The farther I walked away from the reality of real life. Certainly that is the biggest joy of travel to me. That your senses are naturally stimulated by your surroundings. To transport you to a real place of joy and comfort. The city of York's beginnings go back to Romans times and the year 71AD. A medieval Roman wall can still be found surrounding the city in the year 2012. There is lots of history of this the city. That can still be found in York today. The people of York have done a great job to protect there past. For the future of humanity to continue to enjoy. The city of York also offers a lot of lush beauty within those Roman Walls. Also The River Ouse runs through the city and adds to the relaxed atmosphere. One last note. Some good advise for fellow travelers. When visiting the city of York. Please dine at the Mason Arms Pub. Try the Steak Pie and Chips. Not the Steak and Kidney Pie. Also try the John Smith's Ale. The Mason Arms is located at 6 Fishergate. The pictures om this post; From the top, the first 9 pictures are from Bath, the next 5 are from Burlington, Vermont, the next group of 8 photos are from Lucerne, Portland is represented in the next 4 pictures, and the final 4 photos were taken in York, England.

No comments:

Post a Comment